Error: vector<T> too long msg=1 type=0
DSF
2015-07-07 23:12:03 UTC
Hello group,

I am getting this error message
Error: vector<T> too long msg=1 type=0
in several groups now while getting headers. It is a fatal error and
does not even keep the headers read up to that point. I suspect there
is a number in the header data that is erroneously high and causes
this error when Agent tries to size vector<T> (which is basically an
array) to the value.

Anyone else having this problem? Know any workaround?

I've tried using Sample Recent Headers using recent number of
messages to retrieve to skip over the problem with no success. After
all, it is like trying to hit a moving target.
1. Start high where I get the message
2. Reduce the number of messages and read again
3. If error, goto 2

I've used the above to narrow it down to within a thousand messages,
but it still doesn't fill the gap between the previous messages and
getting messages starting at the next day.

Thanks for any ideas,
DSF

P.S. Sounds to me like a bug that Forte could fix with some bounds
checking, but then I'm only assuming about the code and cause.
"'Later' is the beginning of what's not to be."
D.S. Fiscus
Ralph Fox
2015-07-17 08:36:56 UTC
Post by DSF
Hello group,
I am getting this error message
Error: vector<T> too long msg=1 type=0
in several groups now while getting headers. It is a fatal error and
does not even keep the headers read up to that point. I suspect there
is a number in the header data that is erroneously high and causes
this error when Agent tries to size vector<T> (which is basically an
array) to the value.
Anyone else having this problem?
Apparently not, as no-one else has spoken.
Post by DSF
Know any workaround?
I've tried using Sample Recent Headers using recent number of
messages to retrieve to skip over the problem with no success. After
all, it is like trying to hit a moving target.
1. Start high where I get the message
2. Reduce the number of messages and read again
3. If error, goto 2
I've used the above to narrow it down to within a thousand messages,
but it still doesn't fill the gap between the previous messages and
getting messages starting at the next day.
Thanks for any ideas,
Q.1 I might guess MegaJoin. Does it happen when MegaJoin is turned off?

Folder >> Default Properties >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Archives
[ ] MegaJoin archives when retrieving headers

Q.2 Are there any existing headers in the group when you start?
--
Kind regards
Ralph
DSF
2015-07-23 03:32:23 UTC
Post by DSF
Know any workaround?
I've tried using Sample Recent Headers using recent number of
messages to retrieve to skip over the problem with no success. After
all, it is like trying to hit a moving target.
1. Start high where I get the message
2. Reduce the number of messages and read again
3. If error, goto 2
I've used the above to narrow it down to within a thousand messages,
but it still doesn't fill the gap between the previous messages and
getting messages starting at the next day.
Thanks for any ideas,
Q.1 I might guess MegaJoin. Does it happen when MegaJoin is turned off?
Folder >> Default Properties >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Archives
[ ] MegaJoin archives when retrieving headers
I don't use MegaJoin. It's a great idea, but I find it takes me
much longer to browse subjects when something I may be looking for
takes up one subject line instead of twenty. I can often tell if the
subject is of interest by the formatting of the subject lines
themselves.
Post by Ralph Fox
Q.2 Are there any existing headers in the group when you start?
Always. I am almost always sampling recent headers.

Thanks for responding,
DSF
"'Later' is the beginning of what's not to be."
D.S. Fiscus
Ralph Fox
2015-07-23 10:45:35 UTC
Post by DSF
Post by Ralph Fox
Q.2 Are there any existing headers in the group when you start?
Always. I am almost always sampling recent headers.
Thanks for responding,
This issue has been posted once (only?) before.
See news:***@4ax.com
FYI nobody had an answer that time.

If you have a genuine registered version of Agent, you may get
better answers by using "Help >> Post Support Question via Email".

If the problem also occurs with ordinary header joining turned off,
then ISTM the only "number in the header data" would be the numbers
in the NNTP response to the "GROUP" command.

On the other hand, perhaps it may not be a number in the header
data itself. For example, Agent has a limit on the total number of
headers, old + new, in a group. Even if both new and old are under
the limit the total might not be under.

FYI for Agent 5 there is a total limit of 16 million or less headers
in a group (old + new). This limit will be less than 16 million when
any of the headers or bodies uses more than 512 bytes in the group's
DAT file. Agent uses the DAT file to store header subjects, authors,
message-IDs, references hashes, and in version 3 and later a list of
servers and article numbers. Long subjects especially can push a
header's use of the DAT file past 512 bytes.
--
Kind regards
Ralph
Steve
2016-04-09 01:09:27 UTC
Just wanted to add my two cents since this issue hit me the other day for the first time and I couldn't find a solution. This is still a current issue that may hit anyone at any point.

Updating a list of 20 groups I only received this message on one group (22,000 new headers) and noticed all the others processed as normal. As with DSF this was a group that already contained existing headers.

I used the trick above suggested by DSF to sample recent headers in 5,000 increments and that worked until I hit the error again. At that point I selected messages (between when I had last had a successful update and the new headers I was able to grab) and deleted them. Tried again for a full update and it worked so I am assuming a message header had become corrupted.

Prior to that I'd tried the usual purge and compact to no avail.

I haven't tried doing a full update on the group to see if the error re-presents itself as in my case that's not required.

Regards

Steven
Agent 8.00/32.1272
j***@datamix.com
2017-08-27 07:32:20 UTC
Post by DSF
[...]
I am Also getting this message (and have been for a year or so)

I stop Agent and retry, going for smaller and smaller groups to get headers, eventually I seem to get everything (maybe Not)

I also get out of memory errors (Windows 7 16GB RAM, over 8 GB free ) when Agent process gets anywhere near 2GB of memory in task manager
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2017-08-27 07:57:38 UTC
Post by j***@datamix.com
Post by DSF
Hello group,
I am getting this error message
Error: vector<T> too long msg=1 type=0
in several groups now while getting headers. It is a fatal error and
does not even keep the headers read up to that point. I suspect there
is a number in the header data that is erroneously high and causes
this error when Agent tries to size vector<T> (which is basically an
array) to the value.
I am Also getting this message (and have been for a year or so)
I stop Agent and retry, going for smaller and smaller groups to get headers, eventually I seem to get everything (maybe Not)
I also get out of memory errors (Windows 7 16GB RAM, over 8 GB free ) when Agent process gets anywhere near 2GB of memory in task manager
Which Agent version?

Cheers - Jaimie
Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.
Ralph Fox
2017-08-27 07:59:48 UTC
Post by j***@datamix.com
I also get out of memory errors (Windows 7 16GB RAM, over 8 GB free )
when Agent process gets anywhere near 2GB of memory in task manager
Agent is a 32-bit program - so 2 GB is the maximum it can use.

Screen-shot: <Loading Image...>

It would take a 64-bit program to use any more of your 16 GB RAM.
--
Kind regards
Ralph