Agent 1.92 is still Very Useful for NGs
j***@verizon.net
2023-10-21 19:27:47 UTC

I have been using Agent 1.92 (I paid for it) for a long time.

For email, I paid for Agent 7.2, but never used that for NGs.

How many of you still use Agent 1.92?

Thanks in advance, John
c***@invalid.com
2023-10-21 21:44:49 UTC
Post by j***@verizon.net
Hi,
I have been using Agent 1.92 (I paid for it) for a long time.
For email, I paid for Agent 7.2, but never used that for NGs.
How many of you still use Agent 1.92?
Thanks in advance, John
I've been using 1.93 since I moved up from all the earlier versions.
I didn't see any reason for all that extra claptrap in later versions.
Once Agent was set for Yenc, that's all I needed.
AnthonyL
2023-10-22 11:48:19 UTC
Post by j***@verizon.net
Hi,
I have been using Agent 1.92 (I paid for it) for a long time.
For email, I paid for Agent 7.2, but never used that for NGs.
How many of you still use Agent 1.92?
Thanks in advance, John
Still on 1.21 :)

Only use it for text usenet.
--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Ralph Fox
2023-10-27 05:43:44 UTC
Post by j***@verizon.net
Hi,
I have been using Agent 1.92 (I paid for it) for a long time.
For email, I paid for Agent 7.2, but never used that for NGs.
How many of you still use Agent 1.92?
Thanks in advance, John
I kept using 1.93 for some time. But then it happened that I needed
multiple servers, so I upgraded.

[[My ex-ISP's free news server (at the time) became so that it would
only get new posts during the first 21 days of the month. So I needed
another server for fills. Running 2 copies of 1.93, one per server,
did not quite cut it for me.]]
--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

ā€œEste bueĆ¾ oune brondes;ā€ quoĆ¾ Hendyng.
AnthonyL
2023-10-27 11:10:39 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by j***@verizon.net
Hi,
I have been using Agent 1.92 (I paid for it) for a long time.
For email, I paid for Agent 7.2, but never used that for NGs.
How many of you still use Agent 1.92?
Thanks in advance, John
I kept using 1.93 for some time. But then it happened that I needed
multiple servers, so I upgraded.
[[My ex-ISP's free news server (at the time) became so that it would
only get new posts during the first 21 days of the month. So I needed
another server for fills. Running 2 copies of 1.93, one per server,
did not quite cut it for me.]]
Isn't that what Hamster solves?

Ralph Fox
2023-10-27 20:43:14 UTC
Post by AnthonyL
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by j***@verizon.net
Hi,
I have been using Agent 1.92 (I paid for it) for a long time.
For email, I paid for Agent 7.2, but never used that for NGs.
How many of you still use Agent 1.92?
Thanks in advance, John
I kept using 1.93 for some time. But then it happened that I needed
multiple servers, so I upgraded.
[[My ex-ISP's free news server (at the time) became so that it would
only get new posts during the first 21 days of the month. So I needed
another server for fills. Running 2 copies of 1.93, one per server,
did not quite cut it for me.]]
Isn't that what Hamster solves?
A solution using Hamster would have required...
1) Much more hard drive storage than I had at the time, with a
fixed cost to upgrade this;
2) An upgrade to my Internet bandwidth and plan at the time, with
an additional regular monthly cost.
Believe me, it was much more cost effective to upgrade Agent for only
USD$19.00.
--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

ā€œOf vnboht hude men kerueĆ¾ brod Ć¾ong;ā€ quoĆ¾ Hendyng.
Paul S Person
2023-10-28 15:37:49 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by AnthonyL
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by j***@verizon.net
Hi,
[...]
Not to mention the advantage that software you know works and can
trust to work when upgraded has over software you have, at best, only
heard about.

Brand loyalty may not work for everything, but it has for Agent.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,
Giving as his excuse, 'I never knew him.'"
Luca
Luca - e-mail: p.stevens at libero.it
AnthonyL
2023-10-29 18:40:28 UTC
On Sat, 28 Oct 2023 08:37:49 -0700, Paul S Person
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by AnthonyL
=20
Post by j***@verizon.net
Hi,
=20
I have been using Agent 1.92 (I paid for it) for a long time.
For email, I paid for Agent 7.2, but never used that for NGs.
How many of you still use Agent 1.92?
Thanks in advance, John
=20
=20
I kept using 1.93 for some time. But then it happened that I needed=20
multiple servers, so I upgraded.
=20
[[My ex-ISP's free news server (at the time) became so that it would=20
only get new posts during the first 21 days of the month. So I =
needed=20
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by AnthonyL
another server for fills. Running 2 copies of 1.93, one per server,=20
did not quite cut it for me.]]
=20
=20
Isn't that what Hamster solves?
A solution using Hamster would have required...
1) Much more hard drive storage than I had at the time, with a=20
fixed cost to upgrade this;
2) An upgrade to my Internet bandwidth and plan at the time, with=20
an additional regular monthly cost.
Believe me, it was much more cost effective to upgrade Agent for only=20
USD$19.00.
Not to mention the advantage that software you know works and can
trust to work when upgraded has over software you have, at best, only
heard about.
Brand loyalty may not work for everything, but it has for Agent.
I'm not sure what you are doing that makes it so intensive. It's a
long time since I used Hamster but it was in part because I was on
dial-up (that's how long ago it was) and I wanted feeds from three or
four different servers including Novell, Microsoft, Individual.net and
one other that escapes me. I only setup to access the groups I was
interested in then read the threads I was interested in through Agent.

Maybe something has since changed.

Paul S Person
2023-10-30 15:51:20 UTC
Post by AnthonyL
On Sat, 28 Oct 2023 08:37:49 -0700, Paul S Person
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by AnthonyL
=20
Post by j***@verizon.net
Hi,
=20
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by AnthonyL
[...]
I'm not sure what you mean by "intensive". The statements you are
responding to seems perfectly normal to me.

But perhaps you weren't responding to me. Perhaps you were responding
to the person I was responding to.