Filter for this guy - {1a5156ab-a34a-4ec2-a564-00e48564142b}
s***@yakook.com
2023-02-27 20:55:40 UTC
There is a jerk in one of the music groups I use. He posts about 100
headers with the following type subject.

Subject: {1a5156ab-a34a-4ec2-a564-00e48564142b}

I get rid of him with this filter.

subject: {\{} and {\}} and {\-} and {\-}

I'm sure there's another fancy way of doing this, but this is my
simple way of doing it.
g***@wxyz.com
2023-02-27 22:45:29 UTC
Post by s***@yakook.com
There is a jerk in one of the music groups I use. He posts about 100
headers with the following type subject.
I get rid of him with this filter.
subject: {\{} and {\}} and {\-} and {\-}
I'm sure there's another fancy way of doing this, but this is my
simple way of doing it.
I found another filter that will work for the music poster jerk.

"To prevent Agent from retrieving message headers that start
with odd characters such as !, $, <, -, etc. (usually spam)"
subject: ={^[^a-z"].*}

With this one from the Agent Filter page it will take only 1 filter to
take out messages starting with odd characters. You won't have to
make a different filter for each different character, as in my OP.

(I ain't a filter guru. Just trying to help out those as ignorant as
I am on the subject.)
Barry Schwarz
2023-02-28 01:29:33 UTC
Post by g***@wxyz.com
Post by s***@yakook.com
There is a jerk in one of the music groups I use. He posts about 100
headers with the following type subject.
I get rid of him with this filter.
subject: {\{} and {\}} and {\-} and {\-}
I'm sure there's another fancy way of doing this, but this is my
simple way of doing it.
I found another filter that will work for the music poster jerk.
"To prevent Agent from retrieving message headers that start
with odd characters such as !, $, <, -, etc. (usually spam)"
subject: ={^[^a-z"].*}
With this one from the Agent Filter page it will take only 1 filter to
take out messages starting with odd characters. You won't have to
make a different filter for each different character, as in my OP.
(I ain't a filter guru. Just trying to help out those as ignorant as
I am on the subject.)
Doesn't this also eliminate posts where the subject starts with a
number?
Remove del for email
g***@wxyz.com
2023-02-28 01:43:39 UTC
Post by Barry Schwarz
Post by g***@wxyz.com
Post by s***@yakook.com
[...]
You're right! I guess the right one to use would be my first one -
subject: {\{} and {\}} and {\-} and {\-}

Although, it was a music group I made it for, and didn't even consider
numbers posted in such a group. I think I will keep it for just that
group and not Global.

I'm glad I made it clear in one post that I ain't no filter guru. :o)
g***@aol.com
2023-02-28 02:46:06 UTC
Post by s***@yakook.com
There is a jerk in one of the music groups I use. He posts about 100
headers with the following type subject.
I get rid of him with this filter.
subject: {\{} and {\}} and {\-} and {\-}
I'm sure there's another fancy way of doing this, but this is my
simple way of doing it.
That is just an encrypted post, trying not to get sued by RIAA for
posting pirate music ... as if they really care these days.
Those groups are largely dead compared to the days when You would see
thousands of new headers every day ... in the clear and I never heard
of anyone being sued. That was Napster.
s***@yakook.com
2023-02-28 04:08:45 UTC
Post by g***@aol.com
Post by s***@yakook.com
There is a jerk in one of the music groups I use. He posts about 100
headers with the following type subject.
I get rid of him with this filter.
subject: {\{} and {\}} and {\-} and {\-}
I'm sure there's another fancy way of doing this, but this is my
simple way of doing it.
That is just an encrypted post, trying not to get sued by RIAA for
posting pirate music ... as if they really care these days.
Those groups are largely dead compared to the days when You would see
thousands of new headers every day ... in the clear and I never heard
of anyone being sued. That was Napster.
I kinda figured that, but usually they use the torrent stuff today.

I've been around when the Warez groups had tons and tons of software
available, and rarely would you find a virus or any malware problem
with the uploads.

Yeah, Usenet is almost totally dead. My provider has over well over
100,000 groups. I go through a big bunch every once in a while and
can find almost none that are still active.

I don't use Web forums because of their censoring any truth they
consider "harmful". So, I'm kinda stuff with what's left of Usenet.
The Horny Goat
2024-06-04 04:53:09 UTC
Post by s***@yakook.com
I've been around when the Warez groups had tons and tons of software
available, and rarely would you find a virus or any malware problem
with the uploads.
Yeah, Usenet is almost totally dead. My provider has over well over
100,000 groups. I go through a big bunch every once in a while and
can find almost none that are still active.
I don't use Web forums because of their censoring any truth they
consider "harmful". So, I'm kinda stuff with what's left of Usenet.
Sounds like I've been around about as long as you and while I share
your views like you I am sad at how Usenet has so fallen.

I also say "ditto" concerning Web forums. The main reason I even look
at Quora is that I enjoy collecting historical photos which are
commonly embedded in peoples' responses.

(I'm assuming in your last sentence when you say 'stuff' you mean
'stuck')
N***@Wherever.net
2024-06-04 20:21:04 UTC
On Mon, 03 Jun 2024 21:53:09 -0700, The Horny Goat <***@home.ca>
wrote:

I'm the guy who posted the quoted stuff below. I don't keep copies of
any of my posts for more than a few days, so I no longer have a copy
of my original post nor alias I used. I'm a bit paranoid about
"security" and "privacy" - and I ain't a Collector.
Post by The Horny Goat
Post by s***@yakook.com
I've been around when the Warez groups had tons and tons of software
available, and rarely would you find a virus or any malware problem
with the uploads.
Yeah, Usenet is almost totally dead. My provider has over well over
100,000 groups. I go through a big bunch every once in a while and
can find almost none that are still active.
I don't use Web forums because of their censoring any truth they
consider "harmful". So, I'm kinda stuff with what's left of Usenet.
Sounds like I've been around about as long as you and while I share
your views like you I am sad at how Usenet has so fallen.
I also say "ditto" concerning Web forums. The main reason I even look
at Quora is that I enjoy collecting historical photos which are
commonly embedded in peoples' responses.
I don't go near Quora.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quora

Sites like that attract the predators. Predators go where the meat
is. (Read on the Wiki page about the 2018 breech.)
Yep.
Ralph Fox
2023-02-28 05:34:01 UTC
Post by s***@yakook.com
There is a jerk in one of the music groups I use. He posts about 100
headers with the following type subject.
I get rid of him with this filter.
subject: {\{} and {\}} and {\-} and {\-}
Best add parentheses like below. Otherwise Agent will match a '-' or '}' in
the Author header even when there isn't one in the Subject header.

subject: ( {\{} and {\}} and {\-} and {\-} )

FYI the second
and {\-}
does not add any value, it will still need only one '-' to match.
Post by s***@yakook.com
I'm sure there's another fancy way of doing this, but this is my
simple way of doing it.
A much fancier way looks like this in Agent but is quite long:

subject:{\{[0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f]-[0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f]-[0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f]-[0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f]-[0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f]\}}
--
Kind regards
Ralph
unknown
2023-02-28 08:14:58 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by s***@yakook.com
There is a jerk in one of the music groups I use. He posts about 100
headers with the following type subject.
I get rid of him with this filter.
subject: {\{} and {\}} and {\-} and {\-}
Best add parentheses like below. Otherwise Agent will match a '-' or '}' in
the Author header even when there isn't one in the Subject header.
subject: ( {\{} and {\}} and {\-} and {\-} )
Got it!
Post by Ralph Fox
FYI the second
and {\-}
does not add any value, it will still need only one '-' to match.
I thought it would force it to filter only if there were two instances
of the - thingy. Wrong - as usual. :o)
With that one you just gave me a bad headache. :o(
The Horny Goat
2024-06-04 04:58:15 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Best add parentheses like below. Otherwise Agent will match a '-' or '}' in
the Author header even when there isn't one in the Subject header.
subject: ( {\{} and {\}} and {\-} and {\-} )
FYI the second
and {\-}
does not add any value, it will still need only one '-' to match.
As someone who has been using Agent for 20+ years but not really done
much filtering, where is the best place in Agent to insert a filter?

I'm assuming there are two places: (1) globally and (2) for a
particular newsgroup.

Help?!?
Ralph Fox
2024-06-04 06:37:34 UTC
Post by The Horny Goat
As someone who has been using Agent for 20+ years but not really done
much filtering, where is the best place in Agent to insert a filter?
I'm assuming there are two places: (1) globally and (2) for a
particular newsgroup.
For _Usenet_ filters, yes, those are the two places.

There is no one right answer. Which is best depends on the situation.

For example,

(a) I filter out anon remailer posts in some newsgroups but not all.
I filter out anon remailer posts in those newsgroups where most
anon remailer posts are off-topic or badmouthing rants.

(b) I filter out Usenet poster Ras Enoch in all newsgroups.
--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Good counsell lightly never comes too late. For if good, it must suit the time when it is given.
p***@invalidated.org
2024-06-04 20:38:33 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by The Horny Goat
As someone who has been using Agent for 20+ years but not really done
much filtering, where is the best place in Agent to insert a filter?
I'm assuming there are two places: (1) globally and (2) for a
particular newsgroup.
For _Usenet_ filters, yes, those are the two places.
There is no one right answer. Which is best depends on the situation.
For example,
(a) I filter out anon remailer posts in some newsgroups but not all.
I filter out anon remailer posts in those newsgroups where most
anon remailer posts are off-topic or badmouthing rants.
(b) I filter out Usenet poster Ras Enoch in all newsgroups.
I posted a number of pages regarding Agent filtering a while back. Those pages
were from a defunct web site owned by a James Bradley. Ralph posted a reply
showing where they could be found in the Usenet archive.

<http://web.archive.org/web/20021210120751/http://jlbradley.home.att.net/CLASSIC.HTM>
<http://web.archive.org/web/20030122175504/http://jlbradley.home.att.net/REGULAR.HTM>

They are extremely helpful.