Agent 6 Window Display
Ken Blake
2023-12-07 15:52:19 UTC
I'm using Agent 6.0 only for newsgroups under the latest version of
Windows 11 Professional.

If I've had this problem before and asked about it here, my aged (86)
brain doesn't remember.

The computer and Agent were running overnight. When I went to Agent
this morning, my newsgroup layout was different. I used to have
folders on the left and on the right I had the message list on top and
messages on the bottom. Now I can see only one of those three at once
and there's a tab for each to select from.

I went to Window/Window Layout on the Menu Bar and saw what looked
like how to change it back. But making any choices there changed
nothing.

I restarted Agent. Didn't help.

I restarted Windows. Didn't help.

Can someone here help my old addled brain and tell me what went wrong
and how to fix it? Thanks very much.
B***@13of9.com
Try hitting Z (zoom)
Ken Blake
2023-12-07 19:21:31 UTC
Post by B***@13of9.com
Post by Ken Blake
[...]
Thanks very much to both you and Paul. Yes, that works. I must have
hit it by accident.

It's certainly not intuitive.
Arthur T.
2023-12-08 01:20:56 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by B***@13of9.com
Try hitting Z (zoom)
Thanks very much to both you and Paul. Yes, that works. I must have
hit it by accident.
It's certainly not intuitive.
What's just as non-intuitive to me is that (under 1.93), the GUI way
to do it is under Navigation, rather than Options-->Display or
Window.
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com
Nobody
2023-12-08 03:03:36 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
Post by Ken Blake
Post by B***@13of9.com
Try hitting Z (zoom)
Thanks very much to both you and Paul. Yes, that works. I must have
hit it by accident.
It's certainly not intuitive.
What's just as non-intuitive to me is that (under 1.93), the GUI way
to do it is under Navigation, rather than Options-->Display or
Window.
Yikes. Forte Agent is abandonware at v8.0... and you're grumbling
about the UI back with v1.93?
Paul S Person
2023-12-08 16:38:18 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
Post by Ken Blake
Post by B***@13of9.com
Try hitting Z (zoom)
Thanks very much to both you and Paul. Yes, that works. I must have
hit it by accident.
It's certainly not intuitive.
What's just as non-intuitive to me is that (under 1.93), the GUI way
to do it is under Navigation, rather than Options-->Display or
Window.
It's been so long I can't remember the version involved, but I do
remember that, when Free Agent and Agent were separate programs (as
opposed to Free Agent simply being Agent without a registration key),
the menus were quite different. When I purchased Agent it took a while
to adapt.

My records suggest I started Agent with 2.0, but Free Agent might have
been 1.93.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,
Giving as his excuse, 'I never knew him.'"
Paul S Person
2023-12-08 16:33:01 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by B***@13of9.com
Post by Ken Blake
[...]
I once got very annoyed because setting Agent 8 to display HTML did
not (appear to) work.

It turned out that setting the option wasn't enough -- you also had to
hit (IIRC) '\' to actually change the way the message was displayed.

And, of course, the message had to have an HTML section as well. Many
don't. And, to be honest, many that do work better for me with the
non-HTML version in use.
Paul S Person
2023-12-07 16:22:21 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
I'm using Agent 6.0 only for newsgroups under the latest version of
Windows 11 Professional.
If I've had this problem before and asked about it here, my aged (86)
brain doesn't remember.
The computer and Agent were running overnight. When I went to Agent
this morning, my newsgroup layout was different. I used to have
folders on the left and on the right I had the message list on top and
messages on the bottom. Now I can see only one of those three at once
and there's a tab for each to select from.
I went to Window/Window Layout on the Menu Bar and saw what looked
like how to change it back. But making any choices there changed
nothing.
I restarted Agent. Didn't help.
I restarted Windows. Didn't help.
Can someone here help my old addled brain and tell me what went wrong
and how to fix it? Thanks very much.
In Agent 8, there would be a "double window" icon on the extreme
right.

If it is there on Agent 6, click on it.

IIRC, this is a characteristic of MDI
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple-document_interface>.

Alternately, in Agent 8, pressing "Z" will do the same thing.

Perhaps this will work in Agent 6 as well.
Ralph Fox
2023-12-08 04:26:36 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
The computer and Agent were running overnight. When I went to Agent
this morning, my newsgroup layout was different. I used to have
folders on the left and on the right I had the message list on top and
messages on the bottom. Now I can see only one of those three at once
and there's a tab for each to select from.
I went to Window/Window Layout on the Menu Bar and saw what looked
like how to change it back. But making any choices there changed
nothing.
This one is at View >> Zoom on the menu bar.

* The View menu is for quick on/off toggles. In this case, so you
can toggle one pane to full-screen to see more, and then toggle
back again to the 3-pane view.

* The Window >> Window Layout menu is for something you set once
and do not change often.
--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

The moon's not seen where the sun shines.