Agent V4.2: Bodies don't download with SSL and Giganews
Mark F
2007-07-14 22:39:58 UTC
I am running Agent Version 4.2/32.1117 on
Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1.

I am trying to get SSL working with the news server
that I use, which is Giganews.

I have Giganews defined in Servers and Accounts as:
Host Name: news.giganews.com
Login Method: Username and password
Online Operation
Enable server for online operations
Maximum allowed connections 15 {I have tried 3, 5, and 10 also}
Connections reserved for body retrieval tasks: 1
Automatically adjust maximum connections
Disconnect from server after 300 seconds of inactivity

Advanced News Server Settings
{Port: 119 grayed out - which is as expected}
The server creates messages out of order
Use the XHDR command instead of LISTGROUP

Everything works correctly as above: i.e., no
checkmark for "The server requires a secure connection (SSL)"

When I check the SSL box, the "Advanced News Server Settings"
has Port 563 grayed out, which is also as expected.

When I download headers with SSL turned on the operation
seems to go correctly. However, when I try to download
bodies either no downloading occurs or just a small amount
of data. After that, the status line says something like
Retrieving 1 body for {group}
but the progress bar stops moving.

My Giganews account allows SSL and 20 streams.

I can use NewsBinPro 5.33 - Build: 7737 to access Giganews
using SSL with no problems. Port 563 is also used for
the SSL connection and I also allow 15 connections maximum.
(Well, I don't actually know that the connections from NewsBinPro
used SSL, only that it is set to do so.)

Is there a known problem with Agent V4.2, SSL, and Giganews?
Is there some flag that I need to set someplace else in
Agent?
Jack Sprat
2007-07-15 01:09:20 UTC
Works for me under Windows XP SP2. My settings are slightly
different. Try using news-40.giganews.com . Also try 4 Connections
reserved for body retrieval tasks. I do not have the boxes checked at
The server creates messages out of order and Use the XHDR command
instead of LISTGROUP.

Good luck

JS