Header compression enabled? Version 2.0/32.652
Phoenix
2024-05-18 03:15:58 UTC
Am having trouble with a newsgroup and contacted the news server support
team. Got a question I can't answer.

"Do you have header compression enabled in agent settings by chance?"

Am running Forte Agent Version 2.0/32.652. Have looked in the
Options|General Preferences and Group|Default Properties and don't see
any option about header compression. Looked in agent.ini and didn't see
anything that looked like "header compression".

Is Agent Version 2.0/32.652 capable of header compression? If yes,
where would I enable/disable header compression?
Ralph Fox
2024-05-18 05:17:31 UTC
Post by Phoenix
Am having trouble with a newsgroup and contacted the news server support
team. Got a question I can't answer.
"Do you have header compression enabled in agent settings by chance?"
Am running Forte Agent Version 2.0/32.652. Have looked in the
Options|General Preferences and Group|Default Properties and don't see
any option about header compression. Looked in agent.ini and didn't see
anything that looked like "header compression".
Is Agent Version 2.0/32.652 capable of header compression? If yes,
where would I enable/disable header compression?
Agent 2.0 does not have header compression.
The first version of Agent with header compression is Agent 6.0.
<https://www.forteinc.com/release/notes.php?id=60>
--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

A broken sack will hold no corn.
Phoenix
2024-05-18 17:05:11 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by Phoenix
Is Agent Version 2.0/32.652 capable of header compression? If yes,
where would I enable/disable header compression?
Agent 2.0 does not have header compression.
The first version of Agent with header compression is Agent 6.0.
<https://www.forteinc.com/release/notes.php?id=60>
Thanks for your quick answer. Your help in this group is much
appreciated and needed as official Agent support seems to be dead.
Ralph Fox
2024-05-19 04:53:12 UTC
You're welcome.
Donald
2024-06-02 00:23:35 UTC
Phoenix,

I agree. Ralph has been very helpful in the Agent beta newsgroup, too. Of
course, that and the "cafe" newsgroup for beta testers with other discussions
are no longer online. It appears this group is the main source of help now.

Does anyone know if Forte has completely given up on Agent? It would seem so.

Donald
Nobody
2024-06-02 01:28:29 UTC
On Sat, 01 Jun 2024 20:23:35 -0400, Donald
Post by Donald
Phoenix,
I agree. Ralph has been very helpful in the Agent beta newsgroup, too. Of
course, that and the "cafe" newsgroup for beta testers with other discussions
are no longer online. It appears this group is the main source of help now.
Beta testing?

The *Help/Version* label with the *last/final* available iteration...
v8.00/32.1272... has a clear copyright ID as "1995-2014".
Post by Donald
Does anyone know if Forte has completely given up on Agent?
Except for taking continuing credit card submissions to pay for
something I've never figured as useful.
Post by Donald
It would seem so.
A Big Circus Promoter once proclaimed about suckers and every minute.
Post by Donald
Donald
Donald
2024-06-06 02:25:15 UTC
Yes, beta testing was done before the release of version 8. As you are aware,
that was a long time ago. Ralph was in the group back then and was very helpful,
which was my main point. We had two private newsgroups on the Forte server. One
was for actual beta feedback and discussion; the other was for other
discussions. Only recently did they "disconnect" those newsgroups. I think it
was early last year. That's when I read the last message from the one private
newsgroup.

I seriously doubt that they're going to revive Agent. I don't think there's big
money in creating an updated or completely different email and newsgroup reader.
There is apparently some money in providing access to newsgroups. It's just a
shame that they aren't interested in improving the program that many use to read
those newsgroups.

Though it's a shame, it comes down to money, as do most things in life.