Keyboard Shortcuts
croy
2024-06-25 14:39:11 UTC
I've put off asking this for years, expecting that the answer(s) will make
me feel stupid, but I've gotten to the point where I just can't feel any
stupider, so....

I can do so much in Agent with just the keyboard, but the two most common
commands still require me to use the mouse: "Get new headers in Current
Desk", and "Get bodies for marked messages".

So please... go ahead and lay it on me.

And thanks ahead of time.
croy
John
2024-06-25 17:09:24 UTC
Post by croy
I've put off asking this for years, expecting that the answer(s) will make
me feel stupid, but I've gotten to the point where I just can't feel any
stupider, so....
I can do so much in Agent with just the keyboard, but the two most common
commands still require me to use the mouse: "Get new headers in Current
Desk", and "Get bodies for marked messages".
So please... go ahead and lay it on me.
And thanks ahead of time.
Help.

Search. Search on "keyboard shortcuts", no quotes.

Scroll down to "keyboard short cuts" and select that item.

"Get New Headers in Desks Ctrl+H"

###########################

Do another search inside the Help box: "message body" again without
the quotes.

Scoll down to "Get Bodies for Selected Messages command (Action
menu)" and select that one.

This does not mention a keyboard shortcut. It does link to "How to
Use Agent as an Online Newsreader" which also does not mention a
keyboard shortcut.
#####################

There is "CTRL+E" which is "Get new mail (all)" but I'm fairly sure
that's not what you want.

I'm semi-helpful today. :)

J.
croy
2024-06-26 14:22:38 UTC
Post by John
Help.
Search. Search on "keyboard shortcuts", no quotes.
Scroll down to "keyboard short cuts" and select that item.
"Get New Headers in Desks Ctrl+H"
I'm not sure how I missed that--I could have sworn I checked that menu
dozens of times and didn't see that two-key shortcut. Maybe I'm just
spoiled by the wonderful one-key shortcuts for things like "Ignore".
Post by John
I'm semi-helpful today. :)
You have wisened me--thanks!
croy
John
2024-06-25 18:17:53 UTC
Post by croy
I've put off asking this for years, expecting that the answer(s) will make
me feel stupid, but I've gotten to the point where I just can't feel any
stupider, so....
I can do so much in Agent with just the keyboard, but the two most common
commands still require me to use the mouse: "Get new headers in Current
Desk", and "Get bodies for marked messages".
So please... go ahead and lay it on me.
And thanks ahead of time.
Don't forget the standard Windows shortcuts for menus
Hit the Alt key underlines the A for Action. The A key opens the
Action menu. The G key then gets the marked messages.

In short Alt-A-G

A different John
--
Regards

John
Manfred Polak
2024-06-25 19:29:20 UTC
Post by John
Post by croy
I can do so much in Agent with just the keyboard, but the two most common
commands still require me to use the mouse: "Get new headers in Current
Desk", and "Get bodies for marked messages".
Don't forget the standard Windows shortcuts for menus
Hit the Alt key underlines the A for Action. The A key opens the
Action menu. The G key then gets the marked messages.
In short Alt-A-G
And the K key gets new headers in current desk: Alt-A-K

Manfred
croy
croy
croy
2024-06-26 14:24:18 UTC
Post by John
Don't forget the standard Windows shortcuts for menus
Hit the Alt key underlines the A for Action. The A key opens the
Action menu. The G key then gets the marked messages.
In short Alt-A-G
I was hoping for a single-key shortcut, but you have done well to remind me
of the "Alt" key. Thanks!
croy
Ralph Fox
2024-06-25 19:41:55 UTC
Post by croy
I've put off asking this for years, expecting that the answer(s) will make
me feel stupid, but I've gotten to the point where I just can't feel any
stupider, so....
I can do so much in Agent with just the keyboard, but the two most common
commands still require me to use the mouse: "Get new headers in Current
Desk", and "Get bodies for marked messages".
So please... go ahead and lay it on me.
And thanks ahead of time.
Here is how to activate almost any menu command from the keyboard,
including "Action >> Get New Headers in Current Desk".

1. First press the ALT key on the keyboard.

2. Look at the underlined letters under items on the menu bar.

3. Now press "A", the underlined letter for the "Action" drop-down menu.

4. See how the "Action" menu dropped down when you pressed Alt A.

5. Now press "k", the underlined letter for the "Get New Headers in Current Desk" menu item.

Animated screen-shot:
Kind regards
Ralph Fox
🦊

Nothing of moment can be done without necessary helps, or convenient means.
croy
2024-06-26 14:26:59 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Here is how to activate almost any menu command from the keyboard,
including "Action >> Get New Headers in Current Desk".
1. First press the ALT key on the keyboard.
2. Look at the underlined letters under items on the menu bar.
3. Now press "A", the underlined letter for the "Action" drop-down menu.
4. See how the "Action" menu dropped down when you pressed Alt A.
5. Now press "k", the underlined letter for the "Get New Headers in Current Desk" menu item.
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=27_77ll7j__activating-menus-via-the-keyboard.gif>
Thanks Ralph.
croy
El Kabong
2024-06-26 18:07:19 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Here is how to activate almost any menu command from the keyboard,
including "Action >> Get New Headers in Current Desk".
[snip]

Ralph: Your knowledge about all things Agent has never ceased to
amaze me. Did you ever work for Forte?

If it's got 'Ralph Fox' as the author you know it's accurate and good
advise.