Can no longer use Agent to get outlook.com or msn email
B***@13of9.com
2024-07-23 23:25:04 UTC
A recent email from Microsoft states that older, unsecured email programs will
no long be able to access email from Outlook.com. Apparently MS is not going
to go the app-specific route like Google did. We are just out of luck!

Quoted below:

Update your sign-in technology before September 16th, 2024 to maintain email
access.

The safety and security of your information is top priority for Microsoft. To
help keep your account secure, Microsoft will no longer support the use of
third-party email and calendar apps which ask you to sign in with only your
Microsoft Account username and password. To keep you safe you will need to use
a mail or calendar app which supports Microsoft�s modern authentication
methods. If you do not act, your third-party email apps will no longer be able
to access your Outlook.com, Hotmail or Live.com email address on September
16th.

What do you need to do?

If you are receiving this email, you are currently using an email or calendar
app that uses a less secure authentication method to connect to your
Outlook.com email account. You will need to upgrade your third-party mail and
calendar app to a version which supports modern authentication methods.

Microsoft provides free versions of Outlook for your PC, Mac, iOS, and Android
devices which can be easily downloaded and connect to your email account.
Using an updated version of an Outlook application will ensure you are
connecting in the most secure way.

How can you set up your Gmail, Apple Mail, or other third-party mail
application?

Various non-Microsoft applications will have their own steps for connecting to
your Outlook.com email account using modern authentication methods. See our
help article - Modern Authentication Methods now needed to continue syncing
Outlook Email in non-Microsoft email apps. However, you may need to contact
the creators of those applications to provide you with instructions. In many
cases, simply removing and re-adding your account with the latest version of
that application will configure it to use modern authentication methods.

This is a mandatory service communication. To set your contact preferences or
to unsubscribe from other communications, visit the Promotional Communications
Manager. Privacy Statement.

Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
George
2024-07-24 02:39:59 UTC
Post by B***@13of9.com
A recent email from Microsoft states that older, unsecured email programs will
no long be able to access email from Outlook.com. Apparently MS is not going
to go the app-specific route like Google did. We are just out of luck!
That's because Agent (any version) does not support Oauth2 secure
authentication, and because everyone, their brother and 89th
cousin now requires Oauth2 authentication.

Time to join the 21st century.
B***@13of9.com
I'm old. I don't want to!
B***@13of9.com
2024-07-25 15:39:54 UTC
Post by B***@13of9.com
I'm old. I don't want to!
You can always use webmail, in combination with an authenticator
app on your 21st century smartphone (FreeOTP, google
authenticator, ...)
Since my MS-based email addresses are my first and oldest they are pretty much
my spam and junk collectors which I never programmed my phone to collect. I
will probably just run Outlook once a week or so on my computer just in case
there's something of interest. Those addresses which are important to me I
already read on my phone. :)
Kees Nuyt
Kees Nuyt
Paul S Person
2024-07-24 17:03:20 UTC
Post by George
Post by B***@13of9.com
A recent email from Microsoft states that older, unsecured email programs will
no long be able to access email from Outlook.com. Apparently MS is not going
to go the app-specific route like Google did. We are just out of luck!
That's because Agent (any version) does not support Oauth2 secure
authentication, and because everyone, their brother and 89th
cousin now requires Oauth2 authentication.
Time to join the 21st century.
So, the 21st century features /reducing security/ as levels increase?

"There are no perfect universal internet-wide authentication
standards. OAuth is particularly maligned because of the drastic
changes between versions 1.0 and 2.0. In many ways, OAuth2 is less
secure, more complex and less prescriptive than version 1.0. Version
2.0 creators focused on making OAuth more interoperable and flexible
between sites and devices. They also introduced the concept of token
expiration, which did not exist in version 1.0. Regardless of the
intent, many of the original founders and supporters threw up their
hands and did not support version 2.0."
<https://www.csoonline.com/article/562635/what-is-oauth-how-the-open-authorization-framework-works.html>

Other bits explain how this nonsense can be exploited.

Perhaps this old saying:

don't put all your eggs in one basket

Might be useful here -- since these protocols seem to be designed to
do exactly that.

As to those affected by Microsoft's unsurprising enforcement of less
security, EternalSeptember exists. Among others. And, if you need
binaries, other solutions have been mentioned.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,
Giving as his excuse, 'I never knew him.'"
Ralph Fox
2024-07-24 20:46:55 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
As to those affected by Microsoft's unsurprising enforcement of less
security, EternalSeptember exists.
Totally irrelevant. EternalSeptember is NOT a replacement for Microsoft's
hotmail.com and outlook.com _email_ servers.
--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

A mean condition is both more safe and more comfortable, then a high estate.
Paul S Person
2024-07-25 15:27:31 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by Paul S Person
As to those affected by Microsoft's unsurprising enforcement of less
security, EternalSeptember exists.
Totally irrelevant. EternalSeptember is NOT a replacement for Microsoft's
hotmail.com and outlook.com _email_ servers.
Correct.

I clearly got carried away.

Other email hosts, however, do exist.