Filters
s***@nowhere.com
2024-05-04 09:34:27 UTC
Hi All

I did ask this years ago BUT lost my hard drive with what you did answer and said how to do it Ralph

I have looked to see if I can get it back but no go

So will explain again

1......Amazon account
2......I have 3 accounts with them under different emails
***@fred.com ***@bill.com ***@barry.com
4.......3 folders like fredamazon billamazon barryamazon
5.......I want a filter that would filter look at the from filed "IE Amazon" then look at the to
field to fred.com and put that in the fredamzon folder
6......So if I get three emails in from Amazon with each email it would filter then out to the
correct folder.

Hope I have made it clear to want I want.

Kind Regards

Sheila
www.avg.com
s***@nowhere.com

www.avg.com
Arthur T.
2024-05-09 00:20:37 UTC
Post by s***@nowhere.com
I did ask this years ago BUT lost my hard drive with what you did answer and said how to do it Ralph
I have looked to see if I can get it back but no go
There was a thread with your participation in 2011-08 with Subject:
two email accounts. It had a reply from Ralph. You also started one
with Subject: mail in 2014-11, but it did not have a reply from
Ralph.

I don't use Agent for mail, so I don't have the contents of those
threads, and my newsserver doesn't go back that far. But many groups
are mirrored on the Web, and Google Groups might have them. I do not
use Google Groups, and am unable to search for you.

I don't know if this is any help to you, but I hope it is.

(I did not see your recent original message because I had Ignored the
thread.)
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com
s***@nowhere.com
2024-05-09 23:34:05 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
Post by s***@nowhere.com
I did ask this years ago BUT lost my hard drive with what you did answer and said how to do it Ralph
I have looked to see if I can get it back but no go
two email accounts. It had a reply from Ralph. You also started one
with Subject: mail in 2014-11, but it did not have a reply from
Ralph.
I don't use Agent for mail, so I don't have the contents of those
threads, and my newsserver doesn't go back that far. But many groups
are mirrored on the Web, and Google Groups might have them. I do not
use Google Groups, and am unable to search for you.
I don't know if this is any help to you, but I hope it is.
(I did not see your recent original message because I had Ignored the
thread.)
Thank you for getting back to me , it looks like not many look at this group now.

Thank you for trying . Still not found it.

Thank You

Sheila
www.avg.com
s***@nowhere.com
2024-05-15 23:41:23 UTC
Post by s***@nowhere.com
Post by Arthur T.
Post by s***@nowhere.com
[...]
Hi Please can you tell where and how you found those post that I put on

www.avg.com
Arthur T.
2024-05-18 01:55:50 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
two email accounts. It had a reply from Ralph. You also started one
with Subject: mail in 2014-11, but it did not have a reply from
Ralph.
Laziness.

As I said elsethread, storage is cheap so I don't delete old stuff I
don't have to, especially if it involves making decisions. So I just
looked for you name, and found Subjects that seemed to match. If I
used Agent for mail, I'd have had the bodies, too.

Someone said, "When in doubt, throw it out". But I feel that
electronic data is like cats: if it fits, it sits.

Now that I've noticed how many headers I have in this group, I will
be doing clean-up to reduce the chances of hash collisions.
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com
s***@nowhere.com
2024-05-18 22:32:58 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
two email accounts. It had a reply from Ralph. You also started one
with Subject: mail in 2014-11, but it did not have a reply from
Ralph.
Laziness.
As I said elsethread, storage is cheap so I don't delete old stuff I
don't have to, especially if it involves making decisions. So I just
looked for you name, and found Subjects that seemed to match. If I
used Agent for mail, I'd have had the bodies, too.
Someone said, "When in doubt, throw it out". But I feel that
electronic data is like cats: if it fits, it sits.
Now that I've noticed how many headers I have in this group, I will
be doing clean-up to reduce the chances of hash collisions.
Yes did work it out in the end and found my posts all okay BUT
did me no good because where Ralph put the links to how he did it are no longer there
So STILL no wiser hoe to do this

As you can see I have put a help to Ralph BUT I have not seen him on here for a while

Thanks
www.avg.com
Charlie Roberts
2024-05-10 00:26:31 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
two email accounts. It had a reply from Ralph. You also started one
with Subject: mail in 2014-11, but it did not have a reply from
Ralph.
Just curious how you could find all this out ..... Going back to far
and getting to the thread is impressive.

thanks
cr
Arthur T.
2024-05-10 03:24:30 UTC
Post by Charlie Roberts
Post by Arthur T.
two email accounts. It had a reply from Ralph. You also started one
with Subject: mail in 2014-11, but it did not have a reply from
Ralph.
Just curious how you could find all this out ..... Going back to far
and getting to the thread is impressive.
Cheap hard drives and slowing use of Usenet. I used to delete
messages without bodies every so often, but I stopped doing that for
lowish traffic groups quite some time back. I also used to archive
old messages to folders so as to avoid (or at least reduce) hash
collisions.

Hmm. Thanks for bringing this up. I've got enough in here that I
should split it to reduce chances of hash collisions. Though if I had
done that earlier, I wouldn't have found Shelia's threads (for all
the good it did her).
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com
Charlie Roberts
2024-05-14 19:07:05 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
Post by Charlie Roberts
Post by Arthur T.
two email accounts. It had a reply from Ralph. You also started one
with Subject: mail in 2014-11, but it did not have a reply from
Ralph.
Just curious how you could find all this out ..... Going back to far
and getting to the thread is impressive.
Cheap hard drives and slowing use of Usenet. I used to delete
messages without bodies every so often, but I stopped doing that for
lowish traffic groups quite some time back. I also used to archive
old messages to folders so as to avoid (or at least reduce) hash
collisions.
Hmm. Thanks for bringing this up. I've got enough in here that I
should split it to reduce chances of hash collisions. Though if I had
done that earlier, I wouldn't have found Shelia's threads (for all
the good it did her).
Wow! Ten years worth of stuff still in Agent's folder!! And, I
would not say that this is a "slow" NG. You are a mini-Google!

I have set Agent to delete stuff after 90 days, but I "Keep"
interesting posts.

Thanks for the note.
Auld Phart
2024-05-21 04:40:39 UTC
[snip]
Post by Charlie Roberts
Post by Arthur T.
Cheap hard drives and slowing use of Usenet. I used to delete
messages without bodies every so often, but I stopped doing that for
lowish traffic groups quite some time back. I also used to archive
old messages to folders so as to avoid (or at least reduce) hash
collisions.
Hmm. Thanks for bringing this up. I've got enough in here that I
should split it to reduce chances of hash collisions. Though if I had
done that earlier, I wouldn't have found Shelia's threads (for all
the good it did her).
Wow! Ten years worth of stuff still in Agent's folder!! And, I
would not say that this is a "slow" NG. You are a mini-Google!
I have set Agent to delete stuff after 90 days, but I "Keep"
interesting posts.
My headers for this group go back (not complete) to 1 July 2003.

I do not read all messages and mostly ignore and do not delete things which
are not of interest.
I do delete things I read which are not of interest.
Many years ago I installed Agent on a new machine and instead of copying
the old version I just got all headers for some newsgroups.

I was quite astonished when I tried to get the body of a message dated 1
July 2003 and it was retrieved successfully. So for this text group, my
provider (Easynews) kepps over 20 years of messages!

Auldphart!
.
s|b
2024-05-09 15:46:06 UTC
Post by s***@nowhere.com
Hi does no one know how to do this then?
Have you searched the Google Groups archive (if this is still possible)?
Post by s***@nowhere.com
www.avg.com
Please turn this off. You're not sending an e-mail and it's spam. Also,
unless nowhere.com is your domain I would stop (ab)using it.
s|b
Geoff
2024-05-08 16:41:47 UTC
Post by s***@nowhere.com
Hi All
I did ask this years ago BUT lost my hard drive with what you did answer and said how to do it Ralph
I have looked to see if I can get it back but no go
So will explain again
1......Amazon account
2......I have 3 accounts with them under different emails
4.......3 folders like fredamazon billamazon barryamazon
5.......I want a filter that would filter look at the from filed "IE Amazon" then look at the to
field to fred.com and put that in the fredamzon folder
6......So if I get three emails in from Amazon with each email it would filter then out to the
correct folder.
You would not necessarily use the From field if they're all from
Amazon.

You should set up a Watch filter and specify to: ***@fred.com with
"Retrieve" set, and specify the destination folder for that account.
s***@nowhere.com
2024-05-09 23:29:10 UTC
Post by Geoff
Post by s***@nowhere.com
Hi All
I did ask this years ago BUT lost my hard drive with what you did answer and said how to do it Ralph
I have looked to see if I can get it back but no go
So will explain again
1......Amazon account
2......I have 3 accounts with them under different emails
4.......3 folders like fredamazon billamazon barryamazon
5.......I want a filter that would filter look at the from filed "IE Amazon" then look at the to
field to fred.com and put that in the fredamzon folder
6......So if I get three emails in from Amazon with each email it would filter then out to the
correct folder.
You would not necessarily use the From field if they're all from
Amazon.
"Retrieve" set, and specify the destination folder for that account.
Thank you for getting back to me, I was thinking that this group was DEAD
Post by Geoff
"Retrieve" set, and specify the destination folder for that account.
Yes I know that I can do that BUT that would look at ALL ***@FRED.COM and put them in the
destination that I did specify.

So as well as Amazon.co.uk where ***@fred.com as got account it would get ALL ***@fred.com on
other accounts with that email.

Looking at what I posted under ">>So will explain again" that is the problem

Thank you

Sheila
www.avg.com
Dennis
2024-05-10 15:42:23 UTC
Post by s***@nowhere.com
1......Amazon account
2......I have 3 accounts with them under different emails
4.......3 folders like fredamazon billamazon barryamazon
5.......I want a filter that would filter look at the from filed "IE Amazon" then look at the to
field to fred.com and put that in the fredamzon folder
6......So if I get three emails in from Amazon with each email it would filter then out to the
correct folder.
Have you looked in the Agent Help under Expression Examples? I think
there is an example about halfway down that would do what you want. It's
of the form:

(condition1) and (condition2)

condition1 can be a "from" condition and condition2 can be a "to"
condition.

Play around with it and see if it works for you.
Dennis
s***@nowhere.com
2024-05-12 08:09:56 UTC
Post by Dennis
Have you looked in the Agent Help under Expression Examples? I think
there is an example about halfway down that would do what you want. It's
(condition1) and (condition2)
condition1 can be a "from" condition and condition2 can be a "to"
condition.
Play around with it and see if it works for you.
Dennis

Thank you for getting back to me

I have had a look at the Expression Examples as you said.

BUT cannot see where you said it could help me.

Could you please give me a clue to which one?

like Example xxxxx

I then can try to under stand what I want to do

Kind regards

Sheila
www.avg.com
Dennis
2024-05-12 17:08:44 UTC
"To automatically file mail from people and mailing lists you know
about:

Example 1: You might use the following expression to automatically file
known mailing lists and company domains addressed specifically to you.

[>Inbox] To: jsmith AND Any-Sender: {@?.+\.no}"
Sheila
s***@nowhere.com
2024-05-12 21:13:01 UTC
Hi Dennis

Please see below
Post by Dennis
"To automatically file mail from people and mailing lists you know
Example 1: You might use the following expression to automatically file
known mailing lists and company domains addressed specifically to you.
==================================
Have I got this correct?

the inbox is my folder where I want the ***@fred.com email to go to yes?
the to is the email who it is going to ? yes

Now from there I'm lost because you say ANY SENDER then

I would have thought it would go like this

Any email coming "from Amazon.com" and with a email "to ***@fred.com" put in a folder called
fredamazon .

This is where I get lost

I'm only a thick blond Dennis

=======================================
www.avg.com
Dennis
2024-05-13 10:58:53 UTC
You got the first condition correct. You just need to change the
Any-Sender condition. Get rid of the example's "{@?.+\.no}", and replace
it with your 2nd condition, like "amazon.com" or whatever you else need.
P.S. You can get rid of the [>fredamazon] part of the example. That has
something to do with an Agent feature we are not discussing.
Dennis
Ralph Fox
2024-05-24 07:30:24 UTC
Post by s***@nowhere.com
Hi All
I did ask this years ago BUT lost my hard drive with what you did answer and said how to do it Ralph
I have looked to see if I can get it back but no go
So will explain again
1......Amazon account
2......I have 3 accounts with them under different emails
4.......3 folders like fredamazon billamazon barryamazon
5.......I want a filter that would filter look at the from filed "IE Amazon" then look at the to
field to fred.com and put that in the fredamzon folder
6......So if I get three emails in from Amazon with each email it would filter then out to the
correct folder.
Hope I have made it clear to want I want.
Kind Regards
Sheila
The filter should look similar to this:

Screen-shot: <Loading Image...>
--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

What is gained in the shortness may be lost in the goodness of the way.
s***@nowhere.com
2024-05-24 17:58:22 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by s***@nowhere.com
Hi All
I did ask this years ago BUT lost my hard drive with what you did answer and said how to do it Ralph
I have looked to see if I can get it back but no go
So will explain again
1......Amazon account
2......I have 3 accounts with them under different emails
4.......3 folders like fredamazon billamazon barryamazon
5.......I want a filter that would filter look at the from filed "IE Amazon" then look at the to
field to fred.com and put that in the fredamzon folder
6......So if I get three emails in from Amazon with each email it would filter then out to the
correct folder.
Hope I have made it clear to want I want.
Kind Regards
Sheila
Screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=27__34zzjfb.gif>
Sorry Ralph

But I cannot see the filter , it keeps FLASHING in and out

Thank you

Sheila
Paul S Person
2024-05-25 15:35:48 UTC
Post by s***@nowhere.com
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by s***@nowhere.com
[...]
More accurately, it appears to be displaying a list of various and
sundry filters, one after the other. Making them not only invisible
but confusing as to what they are supposed to illustrate.

The actual "Add Filter" box on Agent 8 doesn't do this. But then, it
doesn't have a blue border either. Although probably reflects a
difference in display settings.

Somehow, I don't think this is a simple screen-grab. Since it's a GIF,
might it be ... animated?
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,
Giving as his excuse, 'I never knew him.'"
lisa
2024-05-26 12:31:35 UTC
On Sat, 25 May 2024 08:35:48 -0700, Paul S Person
Post by Paul S Person
Post by s***@nowhere.com
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by s***@nowhere.com
[...]
it displays a filter expression and the corresponding Folder
Like: From: ( IE Amazon ) & To: ( ***@hope.com ) with/and in the
Folder: hopeamazon as name
I extracted this gif with Irfanview and I can view all the different
filters. The gif would maybe understand better if the timing between
the frames was slower.
Post by Paul S Person
The actual "Add Filter" box on Agent 8 doesn't do this.
not flashing, but you have to add as much filters and folders as you
need. And displaying them all at once, Ralph made an animated gif.
Post by Paul S Person
But then, it
doesn't have a blue border either. Although probably reflects a
difference in display settings.
my add filter has a blue line on top, so it looks familiair
Post by Paul S Person
Somehow, I don't think this is a simple screen-grab. Since it's a GIF,
might it be ... animated?
yes, it's animated
A mobile phone is a tool and not a drug.
s***@nowhere.com
2024-05-27 08:29:35 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by s***@nowhere.com
Post by Paul S Person
Somehow, I don't think this is a simple screen-grab. Since it's a GIF,
might it be ... animated?
yes, it's animated
Hi Lisa
Thank you for getting back

I have got Irfanview

I ran it and opened the gif file BUT is just the same as Ralph , ie still cannot see all so fast

Can you explain to what you did to see them

Thank you

Sheila
lisa
2024-05-27 09:31:38 UTC
Post by s***@nowhere.com
I have got Irfanview
I ran it and opened the gif file BUT is just the same as Ralph , ie still cannot see all so fast
Can you explain to what you did to see them
Irfanview -- options -- extract all frames

Extract all frames window.
- select Extract all frames
- filename suffix : pic-## ( give pic-00 to pic-99 as result, Enough
for the 52 frames within this animation )
- destination folder : c:\temp\ ( or a folder you like )
- save as : jpg

click Start and maybe you have to hit 50+ times the enter key for
saving the "Save result preview" . Not all the frames in Ralph's
animation will be sharp, but if you watch them all you can find the
best readable pictures.
s***@nowhere.com
2024-05-27 20:45:31 UTC
Post by lisa
Post by s***@nowhere.com
I have got Irfanview
I ran it and opened the gif file BUT is just the same as Ralph , ie still cannot see all so fast
Can you explain to what you did to see them
Irfanview -- options -- extract all frames
Extract all frames window.
- select Extract all frames
- filename suffix : pic-## ( give pic-00 to pic-99 as result, Enough
for the 52 frames within this animation )
- destination folder : c:\temp\ ( or a folder you like )
- save as : jpg
click Start and maybe you have to hit 50+ times the enter key for
saving the "Save result preview" . Not all the frames in Ralph's
animation will be sharp, but if you watch them all you can find the
best readable pictures.
BRILL got them all, as you say soma not clear BUT got most of them

Thank you so much Lisa

From one gal to another A BIG THANK YOU

s***@nowhere.com
2024-05-26 11:09:54 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by s***@nowhere.com
Hi All
I did ask this years ago BUT lost my hard drive with what you did answer and said how to do it Ralph
I have looked to see if I can get it back but no go
So will explain again
1......Amazon account
2......I have 3 accounts with them under different emails
4.......3 folders like fredamazon billamazon barryamazon
5.......I want a filter that would filter look at the from filed "IE Amazon" then look at the to
field to fred.com and put that in the fredamzon folder
6......So if I get three emails in from Amazon with each email it would filter then out to the
correct folder.
Hope I have made it clear to want I want.
Kind Regards
Sheila
Screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=27__34zzjfb.gif>
Hi Ralph

Any update on the gif file that no body can read as it keeps flashing with all sorts of things

Thank you

Sheila
Arthur T.
2024-05-26 13:41:12 UTC
Post by s***@nowhere.com
Post by Ralph Fox
Screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=27__34zzjfb.gif>
Hi Ralph
Any update on the gif file that no body can read as it keeps flashing with all sorts of things
If it's too fast for you, get gifsicle from
<https://eternallybored.org/misc/gifsicle/>.

Save the image as, say, a.gif.

Then:
gifsicle -U a.gif > b.gif
gifsicle -E b.gif

That'll give you about 50 images. You might need to rename them
because they'll be of the form b.gif.###. (Or maybe not. I'm using a
much older gifsicle.)
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com
s***@nowhere.com
2024-05-27 08:14:02 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
Post by s***@nowhere.com
Post by Ralph Fox
Screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=27__34zzjfb.gif>
Hi Ralph
Any update on the gif file that no body can read as it keeps flashing with all sorts of things
If it's too fast for you, get gifsicle from
<https://eternallybored.org/misc/gifsicle/>.
Save the image as, say, a.gif.
gifsicle -U a.gif > b.gif
gifsicle -E b.gif
That'll give you about 50 images. You might need to rename them
because they'll be of the form b.gif.###. (Or maybe not. I'm using a
much older gifsicle.)
Hi Arthur

Thank you for getting back to me.

I have download the gifsicle program

But having problems running it

I have saved the two programs
gifdiff.exe
gifsicle.exe

To a folder called gifsicle
in this folder I have the gif file named b.gif

I run the gifsicle.exe
then go to the command prompt with admin
I then type U a.gif > b.gif

I then get
C:\Windows\system32>gifsicle -U a.gif > b.gif
'gifsicle' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Please help
Do not for get I'm only a 'Dumb Blonde'

Kind Regards

Sheila
Arthur T.
2024-05-27 17:05:46 UTC
Post by s***@nowhere.com
I have download the gifsicle program
But having problems running it
I have saved the two programs
gifdiff.exe
gifsicle.exe
To a folder called gifsicle
in this folder I have the gif file named b.gif
I run the gifsicle.exe
then go to the command prompt with admin
I then type U a.gif > b.gif
I then get
C:\Windows\system32>gifsicle -U a.gif > b.gif
First, and possibly most important, DO NOT run with admin unless
required. It is seldom required.

Second, more directed to this specific problem, you have to CD to the
directory where you saved gifsicle.exe. The OS knows where some
programs are (and you can modify that). But other programs you have
to tell it where they are. Also, you saved the gif into that other
folder, and it's easier for you to CD to that folder than to specify
the folder name on each command.

So, in a NON-ADMIN command prompt:
CD GIFSICLE
(If that folder is not directly under root, you'll have to specify
the full path.)

Then issue the gifsicle commands.

For the 2nd point: Depending on your system options, there will be an
option to "open command window here" if you right click on the
gifsicle folder. That will mean you don't have to CD at all.
Post by s***@nowhere.com
Do not for get I'm only a 'Dumb Blonde'
You ask questions the right way, with enough information for people
to see what the actual problem is. You opened a command prompt and
typed a proper command into it. I assure you that that puts you well
ahead of the average Internet denizen.
--
How to ask questions the smart way:
http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Jim H
2024-05-26 14:46:45 UTC
On Sun, 26 May 2024 12:09:54 +0100, in
Post by s***@nowhere.com
Hi Ralph
Any update on the gif file that no body can read as it keeps flashing with all sorts of things
Thank you
Sheila
Take a picture of one of each of the images and print them. Each one
is a separate filter example. Use one of them to make a filter that
suits your needs by using search terms and a folder name that matches
what you want.
Jim H
Paul S Person
2024-05-26 15:38:44 UTC
Post by s***@nowhere.com
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by s***@nowhere.com
[...]
The update appears to be to confirm that it is, in fact, an animated
GIF cycling through a whole lot of filters which may or may not be
relevant to your inquiry.

That said, they appear to be mostly showing

From: ( IE Amazon ) To: ( <email address> )

with a folder set down below.

What "IE Amazon" is supposed to mean I have no idea. Whether it would
work for you I have no idea.

But it is something you could try. If it isn't what you are already
doing.