Aternate persona in ver5 continues to use original email address
micky
2023-11-10 19:26:09 UTC
I upgraded from v.4 to 5 and wanted to take advantage of allowing more
than one persona. (I see you can do this in version 4 but I had not
tried.)

I created a second one with a different email address, and I made it the
default, but when I went to compose a post, the new, default persona was
the one showing, but the email address was the one I used with verion
1.93, which of course was still there when I upgraded.

I blanked out the email address. switched to the [none] persona,
switched back to the new persona, and got a box asking if I wanted to
replace the From field with the settings defined by the new persona, and
I said Yes, but instead, it put back the original email address!!

What am I doing wrong?
Ralph Fox
2023-11-10 20:07:54 UTC
Post by micky
I upgraded from v.4 to 5 and wanted to take advantage of allowing more
than one persona. (I see you can do this in version 4 but I had not
tried.)
I created a second one with a different email address, and I made it the
default, but when I went to compose a post, the new, default persona was
the one showing, but the email address was the one I used with verion
1.93, which of course was still there when I upgraded.
That is what will happen if you have a custom field value set for the
“From:” field in any one of the places Folder Properties, Property
Schemes, or Default Properties.

(*select folder*) >> Folder >> Properties >> Posting Messages >> Custom Fields

Folder >> Property Schemes >> (*select scheme*) >> Posting Messages >> Custom Fields

Folder >> Default Properties >> Posting Messages >> Custom Fields
Post by micky
I blanked out the email address. switched to the [none] persona,
switched back to the new persona, and got a box asking if I wanted to
replace the From field with the settings defined by the new persona,
You get this pop-up after you change the email address (even to blank)
on the compose window, and then do something which would replace your
change.
Post by micky
and
I said Yes, but instead, it put back the original email address!!
What am I doing wrong?
That again suggests you have a custom field value set for the “From:”
field in one of the places Folder Properties, Property Schemes, or
Default Properties.
--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️
micky
2023-11-10 20:46:50 UTC
In alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent, on Sat, 11 Nov 2023 09:07:54
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by micky
I upgraded from v.4 to 5 and wanted to take advantage of allowing more
than one persona. (I see you can do this in version 4 but I had not
tried.)
I created a second one with a different email address, and I made it the
default, but when I went to compose a post, the new, default persona was
the one showing, but the email address was the one I used with verion
1.93, which of course was still there when I upgraded.
That is what will happen if you have a custom field value set for the
“From:” field in any one of the places Folder Properties, Property
Schemes, or Default Properties.
(*select folder*) >> Folder >> Properties >> Posting Messages >> Custom Fields
Sure enough.

I wasn't sure whether to just blank it out, or also turn off all of the
5 situations it could have been used (new and replies to email and
usenet). I did the latter but it seems like the effect would be the
same either way.
Post by Ralph Fox
Folder >> Property Schemes >> (*select scheme*) >> Posting Messages >> Custom Fields
Here too. A value not changed when the one above was changed. This time
I just blanked it out, and it's listed as All types, Yes to Override.

Oops, that was just the first scheme (binary newsgroups, and I don't
even use binary ngs. The address was in the other 4 schemes too, and I
blanked it out.
Post by Ralph Fox
Folder >> Default Properties >> Posting Messages >> Custom Fields
In this case, it was there again (no longer surprised) but there is no
Override column and blanking it out just set it all like Organization
and Reply-to. So that one is simple.

Now another problem created that I SOLVED. After the changes above, it
followed the persona for a new post but for a reply post, the email
field was blank. I had gone back and checked Follow-ups (replies), even
thogh the I'd blanked out the value, so I unchecked it and now
everything seems good.

So thanks again, Ralph. I dont' think I will but if I have mmore
problems I know to look in those 3 places.

I woudl never have thought to look in so many places.
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by micky
I blanked out the email address. switched to the [none] persona,
switched back to the new persona, and got a box asking if I wanted to
replace the From field with the settings defined by the new persona,
You get this pop-up after you change the email address (even to blank)
on the compose window, and then do something which would replace your
change.
Right. A lot of work went into v4 and 5 compared to 1.93. (I also used
v0.99 for a while but I can't remember anything about it.)
Ralph Fox
2023-11-10 21:53:07 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
That is what will happen if you have a custom field value set for the
“From:” field in any one of the places Folder Properties, Property
Schemes, or Default Properties.
(*select folder*) >> Folder >> Properties >> Posting Messages >> Custom Fields
Sure enough.
I wasn't sure whether to just blank it out, or also turn off all of the
5 situations it could have been used (new and replies to email and
usenet). I did the latter but it seems like the effect would be the
same either way.
If you have no use for it, click the “Delete” button below the box
to remove the custom field setting entirely from the list.
--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️
micky
2023-11-10 23:09:25 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
That is what will happen if you have a custom field value set for the
“From:” field in any one of the places Folder Properties, Property
Schemes, or Default Properties.
(*select folder*) >> Folder >> Properties >> Posting Messages >> Custom Fields
Sure enough.
I wasn't sure whether to just blank it out, or also turn off all of the
5 situations it could have been used (new and replies to email and
usenet). I did the latter but it seems like the effect would be the
same either way.
If you have no use for it, click the “Delete” button below the box
to remove the custom field setting entirely from the list.
Oh, okay. You're always such a great help, Ralph. Thanks again.