Ralpf Fox: unicode-extension-for-agent-agtex-beta-version-0-41-2023-900
Pete W
2023-10-16 17:17:28 UTC
Ralph, I've d/l the above and attempted to install it but without the
results I expected. Obviously my fault and hopefully you can put me
straight.

System: Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

Wine-stable 8.0.2-jammy-1

Agent 8.00/32 1272

Screen-shots showing current settings after my attempts at
installation. I can't spot any obvious differences from those shown in
the screen-shots in your installation instructions, but I guess there
must be <g>

Language https://imgur.com/a/BfmjpDY

Fonts https://imgur.com/a/1vzBBTB

Agent https://imgur.com/a/PhR1naR

Test results https://imgur.com/a/JvAcVBF

I did change the language to "Unicode UTF-8 (English)"

Am I wrong in expecting more? If yes, where have I messed up?

TIA

---
Pete.
Pete W
2023-10-16 17:19:34 UTC
Apologies for typo - should be Ralph, obviously.
---
Pete.
Ralph Fox
2023-10-17 09:47:46 UTC
Post by Pete W
[...]
In Windows 10 and 11, Tahoma is the best out-of-the-box choice to
display as many Unicode characters as possible.

In other operating environments, Tahoma may not be the best choice.

Here in out-of-the-box Wine-stable 6.0.3 on Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon,
I get better results with "Free Sans" and "DejaVu Sans" than I do
with "Tahoma" in the same environment.
* Free Sans Armenian, Assyrian, Bengali, Cree, English,
Georgian, Greek (polytonic), Hebrew, Hindi,
Malayalam, Panjabi, Russian, Tamazight, Vai
* DejaVu Sans Arabic, Armenian, Cree, English, Georgian,
Greek (polytonic), Hebrew, Lao, Russian,
Tamazight
* Tahoma Arabic, English, Russian
None of them are yet as good as "Tahoma" in Windows 10.

FYI...

* The Tahoma font itself does _not_ contain all the Unicode
characters which you see in this screen-shot:

* If a Unicode character is not in your choice of font, recent
versions of Windows may try to find a "similar" font with the
character.

* Linux and Wine together can do something similar. But
it looks like this could need some font installation and
configuration to get results like I get in Windows 10.
--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Ὁ βίος βραχύς, ἡ δὲ τέχνη μακρή
Vita brevis, ars longa
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne
Pete W
2023-10-17 16:31:27 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
In Windows 10 and 11, Tahoma is the best out-of-the-box choice to
display as many Unicode characters as possible.
In other operating environments, Tahoma may not be the best choice.
Here in out-of-the-box Wine-stable 6.0.3 on Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon,
I get better results with "Free Sans" and "DejaVu Sans" than I do
with "Tahoma" in the same environment.
* Free Sans Armenian, Assyrian, Bengali, Cree, English,
Georgian, Greek (polytonic), Hebrew, Hindi,
Malayalam, Panjabi, Russian, Tamazight, Vai
* DejaVu Sans Arabic, Armenian, Cree, English, Georgian,
Greek (polytonic), Hebrew, Lao, Russian,
Tamazight
* Tahoma Arabic, English, Russian
None of them are yet as good as "Tahoma" in Windows 10.
After experimenting with these fonts I can see the difference.

With Free Sans: https://imgur.com/a/c0VgD6K

With DejaVue Sans: https://imgur.com/a/C67oNBG

For day to work I mainly use LM 21.2 but as it's a dual boot set up
with Windows 10 I installed Agent on Win 10 and using the fonts you
recommended got these, as you say, much better results.

https://imgur.com/a/5tUVajc

Many thanks for your help Ralph, especially the tip about using Agent
on Win 10. Never thought to try it, never thought it would make such
a difference. Thanks again.

Peter.
<https://i.imgur.com/r8nZBMm.png>.