Instruction Manual for Forte Agent 8 needed.
Alasdair X
2016-03-18 19:57:11 UTC
I have installed Forte Agent 8 on my computer and am unable to set it up for newsgroups and email. Please, Please, can anyone tell me where to get an instruction manual for this software? To set up emails, I have to provide a MAPI address; I have never heard of MAPI although I have heard of IMAP. Are they the same?

Please, somebody help me.
Ken1943
2016-03-18 20:22:36 UTC
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/tutorial.php

Ken1943
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2016-03-18 20:41:32 UTC
Post by Alasdair X
I have installed Forte Agent 8 on my computer and am unable to set it up for newsgroups and email. Please, Please, can anyone tell me where to get an instruction manual for this software? To set up emails, I have to provide a MAPI address; I have never heard of MAPI although I have heard of IMAP. Are they the same?
Please, somebody help me.
Help menu, Getting Started seems as good a place as any.

Once you've had a look, do ask here if you're still stuck - but to give
you a head start you do not have to provide a MAPI address. MAPI is a
way for Windows programs to fire up an email in Agent and doesn't need
any configuring apart from "Set Agent as default for email?" during
installation.

And Agent doesn't talk IMAP, only POP3 (inbound) and SMTP (sending).

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"We all recall that the difference between a computer salesman and a car
salesman is that the car salesman *knows* he's lying to you"
- F O'Donnell and M Smith, in afs
Alasdair X
But I don't want Agent to be my default email client. I'm very happy with Outlook. Alasdair.
Steve Urbach
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2016-03-19 23:09:07 UTC
Post by Alasdair X
[...]
... then don't choose to set it as default (if you have, you probably
have to go back to Outlook and get it to set itself as default). And
also don't worry about setting up any email configuration for Agent.

It is now unclear to me why you asked about how to do it.

Cheers - Jaimie
I like my coffee how I like my women... frothing.
s|b
2016-03-20 20:22:35 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
... then don't choose to set it as default (if you have, you probably
have to go back to Outlook and get it to set itself as default). And
also don't worry about setting up any email configuration for Agent.
It is now unclear to me why you asked about how to do it.
I asked myself the same thing, but maybe the OP wants to set up an (POP)
e-mail account that will only be used for Usenet. I do the exact thing:
I use Thunderbird as default mailclient, but I've set up an e-mail
account in Agent that I only use for Usenet.
s|b
Ralph Fox
2016-03-20 02:06:46 UTC
Post by Alasdair X
I have installed Forte Agent 8 on my computer and am unable to set
it up for newsgroups and email. Please, Please, can anyone tell me
where to get an instruction manual for this software? To set up
emails, I have to provide a MAPI address; I have never heard of MAPI
although I have heard of IMAP. Are they the same?
Please, somebody help me.
I am guessing that you have to provide a MAPI address, because you
want to use Agent to send and/or receive email through a corporate
MS-Exchange mail server. And, the people who manage the corporate
MS-Exchange mail server are the ones who told you that you need to
provide a MAPI address.

There are separate answers for (1) sending email and (2) receiving email.

1. Sending email from Agent using MAPI (and a corporate MS-Exchange mail server)

I assume the following
* You have MS-Outlook installed.
* MS-Outlook is your default mail client.
* MS-Outlook is associated with the MAPI protocol.
How to check this can depend on your version of Windows.
In Windows 7,
i. Go to: Start >> Default Programs >> Set your default programs
ii. In the left panel, select Outlook
iii. Click "Choose defaults for this program" (near the bottom)
iv. Down at the bottom of the list you should see this
o A sub-heading "MAPI"
o Under "MAPI", a check-box labelled "Send email"
If there is a check-mark in this box then MS-Outlook is
associated with the MAPI protocol.

If these are so, this is the simplest way to set up Agent 8 for sending

1.1 In Agent 8, go to "Tools >> Options >> Posting Messages >> Posting With MAPI"

1.2 Put a check-mark in the box "Use my default email program to
send all email (using MAPI)"

1.3 In the box "Address format":
* Agent's default setting is: [SMTP:%1]
* In my experience it works better without the square brackets.
I use this: SMTP:%1

When you start a new or reply email from Agent
* The email will open in a compose window in MS-Outlook.
* You use MS-Outlook to finish typing and click "Send"
* Outlook connects to the corporate MS-Exchange server
* The sent email will be stored in MS-Outlook's sent folder,
not in Agent's sent folder.

INSTRUCTION MANUAL -- for sending with MAPI

(a) Agent 8 help file
* Help >> Contents >> Reference >> About MAPI
* Help >> Contents >> Reference >> About MAPI >> Options dialog Posting with MAPI panel
* Help >> Contents >> Reference >> About MAPI >> Selecting MAPI causes these things to happen.

(b) Agent 1.91 PDF manual

The Agent 1.91 PDF manual is still relevant for MAPI,
except that the Agent menu commands are in different places.
i. Go to http://mirrors.easynews.com/agent/ftp.forteinc.com/pub/agent/english/
ii. Download the file: manen191.pdf
iii. See the section "Using MAPI" on pages 139-140.

2. Receiving email in Agent using MAPI or from a corporate MS-Exchange mail server

Agent is designed to retrieve email from Internet mail servers
provided by ISPs and other Internet mail providers such as Gmail
and Yahoo.
* Agent cannot _receive_ email via MAPI.
* Agent does not work with corporate mail servers which use
their own protocols and not the Internet mail protocols.

You might be able to get Agent to work with an MS-Exchange server
by installing and using DavMail.
http://davmail.sourceforge.net/
If you use DavMail between Agent and an MS-Exchange server
* DavMail would get the email from the MS-Exchange server.
* Agent would use the POP3 Internet mail protocol to get the
email from DavMail.

FYI, MAPI is not the same as IMAP.
--
Kind regards
Ralph
Alasdair X
2016-03-20 21:51:48 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by Alasdair X
[...]
Thank you so much for the very long and comprehensive explanation you gave.

Please, what does MAPI stand for? My Internet Service Provider has never heard of it!

I want to set up email on Agent using POP3 and SMTP. Can you give me a step by step way of doing this please? When setting up in Outlook, I have to tick a box which says "My outgoing server requires authentication" but I cannot find a similar provision on Agent.

By the way, my ISP is called Raidhost.

Alasdair.
Micky
2016-03-21 00:29:33 UTC
On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 14:51:48 -0700 (PDT), Alasdair X
Post by Alasdair X
FYI, MAPI is not the same as IMAP.
AIUI, MAPI is IMAP in Hebrew.
Post by Alasdair X
--
Kind regards
Ralph
Thank you so much for the very long and comprehensive explanation you gave.
Please, what does MAPI stand for? My Internet Service Provider has never heard of it!
Maharishi Ayurveda Products International.

Either that or Messaging Application Programming Interface
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messaging_Application_Programming_Interface
Alasdair.
DrTeeth
2016-03-22 22:06:49 UTC
On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 20:29:33 -0400, just as I was about to take a
Post by Micky
AIUI, MAPI is IMAP in Hebrew
Atah retzini?
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill
Micky
2016-03-23 01:05:32 UTC
Post by DrTeeth
On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 20:29:33 -0400, just as I was about to take a
Post by Micky
AIUI, MAPI is IMAP in Hebrew
Atah retzini?
Doesn't Hebrew go from right to left, so if it's MAP I in English, it
would be I MAP in Hebrew. How much more simple could it be!
Micky

It's like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be.
B***@gmail.com
2016-03-25 03:39:59 UTC
I love it! My sentiments exactly!
DrTeeth
2016-03-27 16:11:15 UTC
On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 23:26:04 -0400, just as I was about to take a
Post by Micky
I have CDO.
It's like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be.
Brilliant! ROTFLMAO!

DrTeeth
2016-03-27 16:10:18 UTC
On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 21:05:32 -0400, just as I was about to take a
Post by Micky
How much more simple could it be!
It depends if one thinks too deeply and if one is a Hebrew speaker.

Ralph Fox
2016-03-21 09:20:04 UTC
Post by Alasdair X
Thank you so much for the very long and comprehensive explanation you gave.
Please, what does MAPI stand for? My Internet Service Provider has never heard of it!
I want to set up email on Agent using POP3 and SMTP. Can you give
me a step by step way of doing this please? When setting up in
Outlook, I have to tick a box which says "My outgoing server
requires authentication" but I cannot find a similar provision
on Agent.
By the way, my ISP is called Raidhost.
Alasdair.
The Agent setting for "My outgoing server requires authentication"
is called "Login method". There are four choices:
(1) No authentication
(2) Authentication using a simple username and password.
This is the normal method of authentication.
(3) Authentication using "POP before SMTP".
This is an old method which is not so common these days.
(4) Authentication using "Secure Password Authentication".
This was required by Microsoft's MSN for sending email.
If your outgoing server requires authentication, then you
almost certainly need #2, "Simple username and password".

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

To set up a _new_ email account in Agent 8 using POP3 and SMTP

1. Go to "Tools >> Servers and Accounts"
2. At the bottom left, select "New >> Email Account and Servers"

3. On the panel "step 1"
3.1 Select "Both an email account and an outbound email server"
3.2 Then click 'Next'.

4. On the panel "step 2: Configure Inbound Email Account"
Enter the POP3 / incoming mail server settings here
4.1 "Mail Server"
Enter the POP3 mail server host name which your ISP has
given you. This should be the same as the POP3 'Incoming
mail server' setting in Outlook.
4.2 "The server requires a secure connection (SSL)"
Your ISP should tell you whether you need to check this.
This Raidhost page says "Leave off or none unless you
understand this option"
http://www.raidhost.co.uk/account/knowledgebase/10102/What-are-my-email-settings.html
4.3 "Login method"
Select "Simple username and password" unless your ISP has
told you otherwise
4.4 "Username"
Enter your username. This Raidhost page says your username
is your full email address, e.g. ***@mydomain.com
http://www.raidhost.co.uk/account/knowledgebase/10102/What-are-my-email-settings.html
4.5 "Password"
Enter your password here
4.6 Click "Test connection" to test and verify the settings.
4.7 If all is OK, click 'Next'.

5. On the panel "step 3: Configure Outbound Email Server Panel"
Enter the SMTP / outgoing mail server settings here
5.1 "Mail Server"
Enter the SMTP mail server host name which your ISP has
given you. This should be the same as the 'Outgoing mail
server (SMTP)' setting in Outlook.
5.2 "Connection"
To leave off, select "Do not use a secure connection".
This is the secure connection (SSL) setting, but there
are more choices than just on or off.
Your ISP should tell you whether you need SSL/TLS.
This Raidhost page says "Leave off or none unless you
understand this option"
http://www.raidhost.co.uk/account/knowledgebase/10102/What-are-my-email-settings.html
5.3 "Login method"
*** This is the setting for whether your outgoing server
requires authentication
Select "Login with a simple username and password" when
your outgoing server requires authentication (unless your
ISP has told you to use one of the other options).
5.4 "Use the username and password for the inbound email account"
You can choose to use the same username and password
that were set up in steps 4.4 and 4.5.
Otherwise, re-enter your username and password underneath,
5.5 Click "Test connection" to test and verify the settings.
5.6 If all is OK, click 'Next'.

6. On the panel "step 4: Create New Persona"

If your "From:" name and address are already set up in Agent,
select "No".

Otherwise, select "Yes" and set up your"From:" name and address
on the next panel.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

To reconfigure an _existing_ email account in Agent 8

1. Go to "Tools >> Servers and Accounts"

2. On the left side, expand "Inbound Email Accounts" and select a
POP3 incoming mail server which you want to reconfigure.

3. On the right side, adjust the POP3 / incoming mail server settings
3.1 "Host Name"
Enter the POP3 mail server host name which your ISP has
given you. This should be the same as the POP3 'Incoming
mail server' setting in Outlook.
3.2 "The server requires a secure connection (SSL)"
Your ISP should tell you whether you need to check this.
This Raidhost page says "Leave off or none unless you
understand this option"
http://www.raidhost.co.uk/account/knowledgebase/10102/What-are-my-email-settings.html
3.3 "Login method"
Select "Username and password" unless your ISP has
told you otherwise
3.4 "Username"
Enter your username. This Raidhost page says your username
is your full email address, e.g. ***@mydomain.com
http://www.raidhost.co.uk/account/knowledgebase/10102/What-are-my-email-settings.html
3.5 "Remember password between sessions"
To make life easier, put a check-mark in this box.
3.6 "Password"
Enter your password here
3.7 "Enable account for regular email retrieval"
Check this if you want to retrieve email from this server.
3.8 "Leave messages on server"
Your choice - but read the help file.
3.9 "Until retrieved at both of my sites"
This doesn't work with many servers - it uses an old
and obsolete feature.
3.10 "Skip messages longer than..."
Leave this un-checked unless you know what you are doing.
3.11 "Advanced Settings" - "use a non-standard POP3 port"
Leave this un-checked (the default) unless you know what you are doing.

4. On the left side, expand "Outbound Email Servers" and select an
SMTP outgoing mail server which you want to reconfigure.

5. On the right side, adjust the SMTP / outgoing mail server settings
5.1 "Host Name"
Enter the SMTP mail server host name which your ISP has
given you. This should be the same as the 'Outgoing mail
server (SMTP)' setting in Outlook.
5.2 "Connection"
To leave off, select "Do not use a secure connection".
This is the secure connection (SSL) setting, but there
are more choices than just on or off.
Your ISP should tell you whether you need SSL/TLS.
This Raidhost page says "Leave off or none unless you
understand this option"
http://www.raidhost.co.uk/account/knowledgebase/10102/What-are-my-email-settings.html
5.3 "Login Method"
*** This is the setting for whether your outgoing server
requires authentication
Select "Username and password" when your outgoing server
requires authentication (unless your ISP has told you to
use one of the other options).
5.4 "Use credentials for inbound email account"
You can choose to use the same username and password
that were set up in steps 4.4 and 4.5.
Otherwise, re-enter your username and password underneath,
5.5 "Advanced Settings" - "use a non-standard SMTP port"
Leave this un-checked (the default) unless you know what
you are doing.
5.6 "Enable server for sending email"
Check this if you want to be able to send email using
this server.
5.7 "Set as Default Server"
Click this if you want to this to be the default server
for sending email.

MAPI stands for "Messaging Application Programming Interface".
MAPI was invented by Microsoft for Outlook / Exchange Server.

MAPI is not used with Internet mail servers provided by ISPs and
other Internet mail providers such as Gmail and Yahoo.
MAPI is not one of the standard "Internet mail" protocols.