How would you rate Agent 3.0?
Sam
2005-08-04 01:37:43 UTC
What is your impression of the latest release, Is it worth paying
19.00 to upgrade?
Jim Rusling
2005-08-04 02:49:57 UTC
Post by Sam
What is your impression of the latest release, Is it worth paying
19.00 to upgrade?
Just do a new trial install and decide for yourself.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
http://www.rusling.org
Wavijo
2005-08-04 03:16:57 UTC
Post by Jim Rusling
Post by Sam
What is your impression of the latest release, Is it worth paying
19.00 to upgrade?
Just do a new trial install and decide for yourself.
May I add that one RTFM & other documentation 1st rather than later.
----------+----------
Wayne D. Johnson
Ashland, OH, USA 44805
<http://www.wavijo.com>
Arthur T.
2005-08-04 04:18:41 UTC
Post by Jim Rusling
Post by Sam
What is your impression of the latest release, Is it worth paying
19.00 to upgrade?
Just do a new trial install and decide for yourself.
But make sure you have a way to gracefully fall back if you
Post by Jim Rusling
Current Agent users please note that Agent 3.0 is *not* backward
compatible with Agent 2.0. Make sure you backup your Agent 2.0 data
before upgrading to Agent 3.0.
--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" speakeasy "dot" net
Looking for a good MVS systems programmer position
s***@nyc.rr.com
2005-08-04 04:17:19 UTC
Post by Sam
What is your impression of the latest release, Is it worth paying
19.00 to upgrade?
As the advertising indicated, v3.0 isn't simply a new interface. It's a
very different program than v1.x and v2.0. One of the things that I liked
about Agent was its simplicity of use. Some people complained that it still
looked like an old DOS program, but I thought it was elegant. I've been
playing with v3.0 for hours and I can't get it to look like or function like
"my" Agent.

I don't like the concept of "Desks." The interface and functions reminds me
of MS Office Outlook 2003.

v3.0 contains none of the features I want or use, so there really isn't any
point in my wasting more time learning how to use it. The features that I
want won't be in any of the 3.x versions.

Obviously this is just one customer's opinion, and I'm sure to be in the
minority. I sincerely hope that v3.0 and the whole 3.x stream are exactly
what the majority of customers want it to be. I've already found a
replacement that meets my needs much better than The New Agent does.
Liberty
2005-08-04 12:03:26 UTC
Post by s***@nyc.rr.com
As the advertising indicated, v3.0 isn't simply a new interface. It's a
very different program than v1.x and v2.0. One of the things that I liked
about Agent was its simplicity of use. Some people complained that it still
looked like an old DOS program, but I thought it was elegant. I've been
playing with v3.0 for hours and I can't get it to look like or function like
"my" Agent.
I don't like the concept of "Desks." The interface and functions reminds me
of MS Office Outlook 2003.
What is there not to like about desks? I find it pretty nice to be able to
split different groups away from each other. Binaries together, Programming
groups together etc. Yet we still have the ability lump everything together
and endlessly scroll through them just as we did in 1.x & 2.0
--
Liberty ...
Liberty :Freedom is first earned
saur
I don't like Agent's implementation of user-configurable folders. Better?
Tom Strike
2005-08-04 04:50:09 UTC
I think it was worth it. I don't use it as intensely as many do but
when I went to another computer I had 2.0 on I didn't like it at all
anymore.

YMMV,

Tom
19.00 to upgrade?
Nick
2005-08-04 04:57:55 UTC
Post by Sam
What is your impression of the latest release, Is it worth paying
19.00 to upgrade?
Only if you don't own another binary downloader.
You do get $15 worth of APN service as well.
Sam
2005-08-04 08:37:00 UTC
Post by Nick
Post by Sam
19.00 to upgrade?
Only if you don't own another binary downloader.
Thanks for giving me such an honest answer.

I installed the app, played with it for 12 hours and
decided that learning the quirks was not worth the effort
after using Agent for 7 years. Clicking on the help button
becomes a habit that is required just to get this version
off the ground.

I'm spoiled by the advanced features of Newsleecher, which
comes with an invisible manual and only requires the least
bit of common sense to master
.

Agent has always been light years behind the competition
and has not let anyone down by securing their place at the
end of the line with this latest version.
Anestis Kozakis
2005-08-04 10:07:45 UTC
On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 08:37:00 GMT, Sam <***@rar.zip> wrote:

[snip]
Post by Sam
I installed the app, played with it for 12 hours and
decided that learning the quirks was not worth the effort
after using Agent for 7 years. Clicking on the help button
becomes a habit that is required just to get this version
off the ground.
I've used Agent 1.x and 2.x for over 5 years now, and it was a snap to
move to Agent 3.

Got used to it in no time.

*shrugs*

[snip]
Post by Sam
Agent has always been light years behind the competition
and has not let anyone down by securing their place at the
end of the line with this latest version.
I think Agent 3 is a huge improvement personally.

Anestis.
Nico
2005-08-04 10:53:18 UTC
Post by Anestis Kozakis
I've used Agent 1.x and 2.x for over 5 years now, and it was a snap to
move to Agent 3.
Got used to it in no time.
Here also no problems. The 'Desks' are great. Now I can use any
newsserver I want and get rid of Hamster.. :-)

Ciao!
|\ |
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Nostromo
2005-08-04 11:09:56 UTC
Post by Nico
Post by Anestis Kozakis
I've used Agent 1.x and 2.x for over 5 years now, and it was a snap to
move to Agent 3.
Got used to it in no time.
Here also no problems. The 'Desks' are great. Now I can use any
newsserver I want and get rid of Hamster.. :-)
Ciao!
|\ |
| \|ico
Man, not THE Hamster that frequents alt.internet.p2p? Damn, if so, he gets
around like a bad smell. Is there a way to not allow him access to this
newsgroup or any other one I frequent? Now THAT'S a feature I'd pay for!
Post by Nico
;-)
--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Roscoe
2005-08-04 11:00:50 UTC
Post by Anestis Kozakis
[snip]
Post by Sam
I installed the app, played with it for 12 hours and
decided that learning the quirks was not worth the effort
after using Agent for 7 years. Clicking on the help button
becomes a habit that is required just to get this version
off the ground.
I've used Agent 1.x and 2.x for over 5 years now, and it was a snap to
move to Agent 3.
Got used to it in no time.
The transition is seamless and there is nothing to learn if a person
only reads text and does not have to deal with the maze of added fluff
that involves getting more than five servers to function properly.
Post by Anestis Kozakis
*shrugs*
[snip]
Post by Sam
Agent has always been light years behind the competition
and has not let anyone down by securing their place at the
end of the line with this latest version.
I think Agent 3 is a huge improvement personally.
Anything could be considered an improvement after waiting this long.
Forte promised the moon when they wanted an upgrade fee for version 2.0
and now people are forced to learn a program that was presented with
outdated features within minutes of being released.

Newsbin - Newsleecher have kept their interface simple and will
continue to run circles around the bloatware that Agent has evolved
into.
Anestis.
GregRo
2005-08-04 13:24:55 UTC
Ugh,

I thought the format would stay the same. No wonder it took them
years to add new servers. They could of done that with an update.
I don't like the new fonts and screen widths and the new names it real
confusing. Plus it already crashed on xp sp2.

Back to using agent 2.0

Greg Ro
Anestis Kozakis
2005-08-04 14:27:46 UTC
Post by GregRo
Ugh,
I thought the format would stay the same. No wonder it took them
years to add new servers. They could of done that with an update.
I don't like the new fonts and screen widths and the new names it real
confusing. Plus it already crashed on xp sp2.
You can change the fonts, colours, and screen widths.

Doesn't crash on my system, and it's XP SP2 with latest updates.
Post by GregRo
Back to using agent 2.0
Greg Ro
Anestis.
Sharon
2005-08-04 14:36:40 UTC
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 00:27:46 +1000, Anestis Kozakis
Post by Anestis Kozakis
Post by GregRo
Ugh,
I thought the format would stay the same. No wonder it took them
years to add new servers. They could of done that with an update.
I don't like the new fonts and screen widths and the new names it real
confusing. Plus it already crashed on xp sp2.
You can change the fonts, colours, and screen widths.
Doesn't crash on my system, and it's XP SP2 with latest updates.
Love the fact that I can rename newsgroups. And no crashes here,
either.

Sharon
Canyon Country, California
GregRo
2005-08-04 14:37:47 UTC
Post by Anestis Kozakis
Post by GregRo
Ugh,
I thought the format would stay the same. No wonder it took them
years to add new servers. They could of done that with an update.
I don't like the new fonts and screen widths and the new names it real
confusing. Plus it already crashed on xp sp2.
You can change the fonts, colours, and screen widths.
Doesn't crash on my system, and it's XP SP2 with latest updates.
Post by GregRo
Back to using agent 2.0
Greg Ro
Anestis.
Duh,
I know that. They change the names. However, you did give me Idea on
how to incorperate the fonts from agent 2 to agent 3.
So it won't change on you. Compare the agent.in file and change
accordingly

It still confusing figure out. New header, all headers, subscribe
group, All groups, new groups. I wish they would be able to make it
look like the old style agent.

I may or may not give it another shot.

Greg Ro
(PeteCresswell)
2005-08-04 18:22:08 UTC
Post by Anestis Kozakis
I've used Agent 1.x and 2.x for over 5 years now, and it was a snap to
move to Agent 3.
Could you revert to 2.x if desired? (i.e. are the file formats compatible?)
PeteCresswell
b***@gmail.com
2005-08-04 15:11:57 UTC
Without support for multiple e-mail accounts to match the ability to
use multiple NNTP servers, I will pass.

Still no compelling reason to upgrade from 1.x, which I purchased when
I used one e-mail addy and one nntp server. Today, I have several
e-mail servers to check, and a couple of active nntp servers.

With an excellent open source mail and news client available, which
supports multiple servers of both types, I still see no reason to make
an investment. It was very nice "way back when" with 1.x to manage mail
and news in once interface.

The bells and whistles are nice, but until this product matches it's
non-commercial competition in basic modern functionality, I will keep
using the old version.