Corupt index files
Fler
2004-05-27 04:44:17 UTC
I downloaded some files off of usenet and burnt the entire agent
directory on cd a couple of hours ago. In the process some of the
files had gotten corupted, I guess I should have check the files on
the cd before deleting them off the hard drive. Now I have a clean
install of agent and some big .dat files. Is there anyway I can
decode these .dat files into a readable format?

The files I downloaded had shown the yellow icon (they were downloaded
and not yet decoded) now nothing shows up in these same groups, and
if I reload the entire headers for the group, the headers/files I want
are there, but look as if they were never downloaded.
/betty/
2004-05-27 05:43:45 UTC
Post by Fler
I downloaded some files off of usenet and burnt the entire agent
directory on cd a couple of hours ago. In the process some of the
files had gotten corupted, I guess I should have check the files on
the cd before deleting them off the hard drive. Now I have a clean
install of agent and some big .dat files. Is there anyway I can
decode these .dat files into a readable format?
Files on CD/R/W are generally not readable in the OS if genuinely
corrupt, is this the case with yours?
Post by Fler
The files I downloaded had shown the yellow icon (they were downloaded
and not yet decoded) now nothing shows up in these same groups, and
if I reload the entire headers for the group, the headers/files I want
are there, but look as if they were never downloaded.
Be careful, you'll dig yourself into a bigger mess by downloading/adding
new stuff to the dB's before you've got the initial old stuff
accessible...

If the above were not truly corrupt, then when you copied back the Agent
files from CD to HD before you tried to access them with Agent did you
remember to remove the Read-Only attribute from all the .dat etc.,
files?

Fyi; Agent requires free r/w access to files it uses.
/betty/ [2004-05-27 15:30:57]
Ralph Fox
2004-05-27 09:32:15 UTC
On 26 May 2004 21:44:17 -0700, in article
Post by Fler
I downloaded some files off of usenet and burnt the entire agent
Which version of Agent or Free Agent are you asking about?

(We could look in your headers, _if_ you had posted with Agent and
this information was in your headers. It is not in your headers.)
Post by Fler
directory on cd a couple of hours ago.
I assume that you included subdirectories, and in particular
all the files in the Agent\Data directory.
Post by Fler
In the process some of the
files had gotten corupted,
If Agent's data files are marked as 'Read Only' from being on a CD,
then Agent won't open them.

Did you copy the files back to your hard drive _and_ then ensure
that _none_ of the files were marked as 'Read Only' ?
Post by Fler
I guess I should have check the files on
the cd before deleting them off the hard drive. Now I have a clean
install of agent and some big .dat files.
Do you have the corresponding .IDX file for each .DAT file?

Do you have the matching GROUPS.DAT and GROUPS.IDX files from the
exact _same_ Agent database as the 00??????.DAT and 00??????.IDX
files?
Agent Group Recover, from http://www.gordol.org/agent.html
Post by Fler
The files I downloaded had shown the yellow icon (they were downloaded
and not yet decoded) now nothing shows up in these same groups, and
if I reload the entire headers for the group, the headers/files I want
are there, but look as if they were never downloaded.
I can think of several possible causes, all mutually exclusive,
and all consistent with your description. E.g.

1. You restored the *.DAT files but not the *.IDX files.
2. Your agent is looking for its data files in a different
directory to where you restored the data files.
3. You restored the 00??????.DAT/.IDX files but not the
corresponding GROUPS.DAT/.IDX files. The table, telling
which pair of 00??????.DAT/.IDX files corresponds to each
group, is stored in the GROUPS.DAT/.IDX files. Agent
is using a different GROUPS.DAT/.IDX with a different table
and is reading the wrong 00??????.DAT/.IDX files for each group.
--
Cheers
Ralph

A doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines.
Fler
2004-05-27 14:04:49 UTC
I hope this response isn't to messy:

Fler -> It was free agent version 1.93, yes the files are in the
agent/data directory, after giving me errors I remembered that to
uncheck read-only for all the files, yes all the .idx and .dat files
are there in the data directory, no the groups.dat and groups.idx
(exact) were some of the files that had gotten curopted. I ended up
overwriting these files with a clean install of agent. Thanks for the
detailed info and I will try that agent group recover and hope it
works.

Ralph -> 1. You restored the *.DAT files but not the *.IDX files.

Fler -> When you say restore, does that mean copy back down these
original files? (as in the ones burnt on cd)

Ralph -> 3. You restored the 00??????.DAT/.IDX files but not the
Post by Ralph Fox
corresponding GROUPS.DAT/.IDX files. The table, telling
which pair of 00??????.DAT/.IDX files corresponds to each
group, is stored in the GROUPS.DAT/.IDX files. Agent
is using a different GROUPS.DAT/.IDX with a different table
and is reading the wrong 00??????.DAT/.IDX files for each group.
Fler -> This sounds like it is more than likely the issues at hand.
Ralph Fox
2004-06-01 09:49:19 UTC
On 27 May 2004 07:04:49 -0700, in article
Post by Fler
the groups.dat and groups.idx
(exact) were some of the files that had gotten curopted.
How are you deciding that these particular files are corrupted?
Post by Fler
Fler -> When you say restore, does that mean copy back down these
original files? (as in the ones burnt on cd)
Yes.

You did not tell us how you decided that the files were corrupt.
I presume you tried to look at your Agent data from within Agent.

You cannot run Agent's database directly off a CD-ROM.
Agent requires write access to its database files.

So I am presuming that you copied the original Agent database files,
back from the CD-ROM (where you burnt it), onto your hard drive.
Post by Fler
Fler -> This sounds like it is more than likely the issues at hand.
So did you copy back the entire database as one unit, or did
you try to mix parts of the original database (burnt onto CD)
with parts of another database?

You have to copy the database as one unit and not mix parts of
one database with parts of another. (Unless you really really
really really really know what you are doing, and you know what
tricks need to be done to make it work, and you do those tricks.
Don't ask.)
--
Cheers,
Ralph

Three things are certain in life: Death, taxes and lost data.
Guess which has occurred.
Dr Teeth
2004-06-06 21:25:51 UTC
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 09:49:19 +0000, Ralph Fox
Post by Ralph Fox
You cannot run Agent's database directly off a CD-ROM.
Agent requires write access to its database files.
So I am presuming that you copied the original Agent database files,
back from the CD-ROM (where you burnt it), onto your hard drive.
Writing a file to a CD makes it read-only. When copying it back to
disk the attribute remains. The database files would have to have the
read-only attribute removed on the hard disk.

Cheers,

Guy

** I may not be perfect, but I'm
** English, and that's the next best thing!
Nick Spalding
2004-06-07 09:19:52 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
You cannot run Agent's database directly off a CD-ROM.
Agent requires write access to its database files.
So I am presuming that you copied the original Agent database files,
back from the CD-ROM (where you burnt it), onto your hard drive.
Writing a file to a CD makes it read-only. When copying it back to
disk the attribute remains. The database files would have to have the
read-only attribute removed on the hard disk.
If you open a MSDOS window you can use XCOPY which by default doesn't do
this so the files are immediately usable.
Nick Spalding
jo
2004-06-07 10:26:06 UTC
Post by Nick Spalding
Post by Dr Teeth
Writing a file to a CD makes it read-only. When copying it back to
disk the attribute remains. The database files would have to have the
read-only attribute removed on the hard disk.
If you open a MSDOS window you can use XCOPY which by default doesn't do
this so the files are immediately usable.
I've just found this which adds 'clear read only' functionality to the
right click menu. It is the fastest method I have found to date.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\readonly]
@="Clear Read Only flag"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\readonly\command]
@="attrib -R \"%1\\*.*\" /s"

I found it here:
http://www.crystalsoftware.com.au/desktop.html

I just cleared the read only attribute on a folder with 9 nine
subfolders (three deep) and 142 files. It worked perfectly and
instantly.
Nick Spalding
2004-06-07 11:55:13 UTC
Post by jo
Post by Nick Spalding
Post by Dr Teeth
Writing a file to a CD makes it read-only. When copying it back to
disk the attribute remains. The database files would have to have the
read-only attribute removed on the hard disk.
If you open a MSDOS window you can use XCOPY which by default doesn't do
this so the files are immediately usable.
I've just found this which adds 'clear read only' functionality to the
right click menu. It is the fastest method I have found to date.
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\readonly]
@="Clear Read Only flag"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\readonly\command]
@="attrib -R \"%1\\*.*\" /s"
http://www.crystalsoftware.com.au/desktop.html
I just cleared the read only attribute on a folder with 9 nine
subfolders (three deep) and 142 files. It worked perfectly and
instantly.
Well done Jo, that is a keeper!

Of course the working part of it is the MSDOS "attrib -r <whatever> /s"
Nick Spalding
BillB
2004-06-07 22:39:12 UTC
Post by jo
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\readonly]
@="Clear Read Only flag"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\readonly\command]
@="attrib -R \"%1\\*.*\" /s"
http://www.crystalsoftware.com.au/desktop.html
I just cleared the read only attribute on a folder with 9 nine
subfolders (three deep) and 142 files. It worked perfectly and
instantly.
Thanks for the reg. code, which I've now added too. It is based
on the MSDOS attrib command as Nick noted, and is a 'quick & dirty'
adaptation of a DOS batch command with it's unutilizable command
line param. (in @="attrib -R \"%1\\*.*\" /s") which allows a DOS
user to clear the R attribute anywhere without having to first
change directories (much more easily done in a windows file browser
than in DOS). I didn't immediately see the Clear Readonly link on
the crystalsoftware website (it appeared to be a text description of
the ClipSize utility) so I just typed the entry manually using
Regedit.

I could have copied it from your msg., but that would have been
TOO easy. It didn't work at first due to not removing one of the
'\' escape characters, which produced a DOS Parse Error 8 msg.
That's what led me to simplifying the command, producing "attrib -R
*.* /s". It's unfortunate that the right-click menu doesn't have
submenus allowing the choice of -R, +R, -S, +S, -H, +H, etc. since
adding all of these to the menu would grow it beyond a reasonable
size. I wonder if the registry design permits right-click submenus?

Anyway since using Regedit can be risky, for anyone wanting to
roll their own here are two easier to use templates, since the batch
file junk has been removed:

=============================
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\readonlyhere]
@="Clear Read Only flag in this folder ONLY"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\readonlyhere\command]
@="attrib -R *.*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\clearall]
@="Clear all attribute flags here and in subs"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\clearall\command]
@="attrib -R -H -S *.* /s"
=============================
No Body
2004-06-07 23:42:21 UTC
Post by Nick Spalding
If you open a MSDOS window you can use XCOPY which by default doesn't do
this so the files are immediately usable.
Or they could Zip the Agent directory, which would keep the file
attributes intact, and burn the archive to disk.
Nemo S.
2004-06-08 06:00:51 UTC
Post by No Body
Post by Nick Spalding
If you open a MSDOS window you can use XCOPY which by default doesn't do
this so the files are immediately usable.
Or they could Zip the Agent directory, which would keep the file
attributes intact, and burn the archive to disk.
Zipping is a great Idea but as far as a blanket NO READ ONLY on all
files looks like an invitation for infection as some files are READ
ONLY for a reason ....

~Nemo~

No Body
2004-05-27 13:03:36 UTC
Post by Fler
I downloaded some files off of usenet and burnt the entire agent
directory on cd a couple of hours ago. In the process some of the
files had gotten corupted, I guess I should have check the files on
the cd before deleting them off the hard drive. Now I have a clean
install of agent and some big .dat files. Is there anyway I can
decode these .dat files into a readable format?
The files I downloaded had shown the yellow icon (they were downloaded
and not yet decoded) now nothing shows up in these same groups, and
if I reload the entire headers for the group, the headers/files I want
are there, but look as if they were never downloaded.
If none of the other suggestions help, you can try this;

Use AGReco to try and recover the downloaded posts and save them to a
file. Then use UUD32Win from;

http://www.execpc.com/~mspankus

To open the file and decode the files.

Yes, you CAN import the saved file back into AGent and decode it from
there, but that would probably require using the manual join option (Agent
doesn't seem to deect multipart posts that have been imported. UUD32Win
should be able to sort out all the parts to the various files and put them
back together automatically.
Fler